|Fear of the Dark|
|Companion(s):||Tegan Jovanka, Nyssa|
|Main enemy:||The Bloodhunter, The Dark|
|Main setting:||Akoshemon's moon, 2382|
|Release date:||6 January 2003|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 25 Chapters, 288 Pages (Original Release)|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
Fear of the Dark was the fifty-eighth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Fifth Doctor, Tegan Jovanka and Nyssa. This is only the second occurrence of this lineup (the first in the PDA range was Zeta Major, published in 1998). This is author Trevor Baxendale's only contribution to the PDA range, but he has written several novels for other Doctors in novel and audio ranges.
Publisher's summary Edit
2003 BBC Books edition Edit
On the very edge of the galaxy lies Akoshemon: a putrefied world of legendary evil.
In the year 2382 archaeologists land on Akoshemon's only moon, searching for evidence of the planet’s infamous past. But when the Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa are drawn into the lunar caverns they find more than a team of academics — and help uncover much more than ancient history.
Something is lying in wait, deep inside the labyrinth of caves: something that remembers the spiral of war, pestilence and deprivation that ruined Akoshemon. Something that rejoiced in every kind of horror and destruction.
An age-old terror is about to be reborn. But what is the hideous secret of the Bloodhunter? And why does Nyssa feel that her thoughts are no longer her own? Forced to confront his own worst fears, even the Doctor will be pushed to breaking point — and beyond.
2013 BBC Books edition Edit
On a moon of the ruined planet Akoshemon, an age-old terror is about to be reborn. Something that remembers the spiral of war, pestilence and deprivation — and rejoices in it. The Fifth Doctor joins a team of archaeologists searching for evidence of the planet's infamous past, and uncovers more than just ancient history. Forced to confront his own worst fears, even the Doctor will be pushed to breaking point — and beyond.
to be added
- Fifth Doctor
- Tegan Jovanka
- Jyl Stoker
- Vega Jaal
- Bunny Cheung
- Jim Boyd
- Lawrence (Fear of the Dark)
- Ravus Oldeman
- Silas Cadwell
- Kalazak brandy is exceptionally strong, giving you a burning sensation upon drinking it. Ogrons drink it in abundance.
Astronomical objects Edit
- Jyl Stoker mentions that her independent mining crew are rivals to the bigger mining corporations such as the Interplanetary Mining Corporation and The Consortium.
Cultural references from the real world Edit
- The Doctor says that the underground room they find is "hardly the Hammer House of Horror".
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor mentions his encounters with the Daleks, the Cybermen and is sure that the Black Guardian will catch up with him one day.
- The Doctor says that he has a gift for languages and given time should be able to decipher the hieroglyphs around the crypt housing the remains of the Dark.
- The Doctor has a cricket ball signed by Mike Gatting
- When the Doctor is under the influence of the Dark, he sees a nightmare image of himself regenerating time and time again on a blood soaked altar, and sees himself regenerate into his Sixth and Seventh incarnations.
Galactic law Edit
- Galactic Law states that consecrated planets, moons and asteroids cannot be subject to mining operations.
- Silus Cadwell says that "some people believe that, before our own universe, there were strange forces: gods if you like, from before our time".
- Doesn't know what either elephants or peashooters are.
- Earth reptile dolls are available to children.
Solar systems Edit
- The Karula Koza system transmits hyper waves round it.
- The Consortium had interests in the Antares system.
- The University of Tyr specialises in temporal compression research.
- The Human Sciences Academy is located on Mars.
- A comic preview of this novel was printed in DWM 325.
- This novel was reprinted with a brand new cover on 7 March 2013 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who.
- Tegan is having dreams of snakes. (TV: Snakedance)
- The Doctor and Tegan discuss their visit to Deva Loka. (TV: Kinda)
- The Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa all refer to Adric's death in 2526. (TV: Earthshock)
- The Doctor mentions playing cricket at Cranleigh Hall in Buckinghamshire on 11 June 1925. (TV: Black Orchid)
- Tegan refers to her cousin Colin Frazer. (TV: Arc of Infinity)
- The Doctor recalls visiting caves on Solos (TV: The Mutants) and Voga. (TV: Revenge of the Cybermen)
- Nyssa is familiar with the Fault locator. (TV: The Daleks), (TV: The Edge of Destruction)
- The Doctor is concerned that the Time Lords, especially Maxil, interfered with his TARDIS when he was last on Gallifrey; (TV: Arc of Infinity) it was later revealed that his suspicions were right. (AUDIO: No Place Like Home)
- Fear of the Dark at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Fear of the Dark at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Fear of the Dark