a real world point of view
|Fear of the Dark|
|Companion(s):||Tegan Jovanka, Nyssa|
|Main enemy:||The Bloodhunter, The Dark|
|Main setting:||The Moon of Akoshemon, 2382|
|Release date:||January 2003|
|Format:||Paperback Book, ? Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
Fear of the Dark was the fifty-eighth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Fifth Doctor, Tegan Jovanka and Nyssa. This is only the second occurrence of this lineup (the first in the PDA range was Zeta Major, published in 1998). This is author Trevor Baxendale's only contribution to the PDA range, but he has written several novels for other Doctors in novel and audio ranges.
Publisher's summary Edit
2003 BBC Books edition Edit
On the very edge of the galaxy lies Akoshemon: a putrefied world of legendary evil.
In the year 2382 archaeologists land on Akoshemon's only moon, searching for evidence of the planet’s infamous past. But when the Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa are drawn into the lunar caverns they find more than a team of academics -- and help uncover much more than ancient history.
Something is lying in wait, deep inside the labyrinth of caves: something that remembers the spiral of war, pestilence and deprivation that ruined Akoshemon. Something that rejoiced in every kind of horror and destruction.
An age-old terror is about to be reborn. But what is the hideous secret of the Bloodhunter? And why does Nyssa feel that her thoughts are no longer her own? Forced to confront his own worst fears, even the Doctor will be pushed to breaking point -- and beyond.
2013 BBC Books edition Edit
On a moon of the ruined planet Akoshemon, an age-old terror is about to be reborn. Something that remembers the spiral of war, pestilence and deprivation – and rejoices in it. The Fifth Doctor joins a team of archaeologists searching for evidence of the planet's infamous past, and uncovers more than just ancient history. Forced to confront his own worst fears, even the Doctor will be pushed to breaking point – and beyond.
to be added
Astronomical objects Edit
- A comic preview of this novel was printed in DWM 325.
- This novel was reprinted with a brand new cover in 2013 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who.
- Tegan is having dreams of snakes. This is most likely a precursor to TV: Snakedance.
- The Doctor and Tegan discuss their visit to Deva Loka. (TV: Kinda)
- The Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa all refer to Adric's death in 2526. (TV: Earthshock)
- The Doctor mentions playing cricket at Cranleigh Hall in Buckinghamshire on 11 June 1925. (TV: Black Orchid)
- Tegan refers to her cousin Colin Frazer. (TV: Arc of Infinity)
- The Doctor recalls visiting caves on Solos (TV: The Mutants) and Voga (TV: Revenge of the Cybermen).
- Detailed synopsis of Fear of the Dark at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Fear of the Dark at The Whoniverse