Click this button to go to discussions that need your comments and suggestions.Active forums
Please DO NOT add to this discussion.
I've just had an idea. We could have a fun captions contest! For those who don't know what I'm talking about, its basically about adding a humourous caption to a picture that will be posted here (Doctor Who ones, though). This is just a suggestion, tis all. What do you all think? The evil dudeArnie 15:17, 9 August 2008 (UTC)
- In this thread? Might be fun - bit I'm no good at those. Jack's the man - 18:24, 9 August 2008 (UTC)
- I like this idea, here one to start with, put captions bullet marked below:--Skittles the hog 19:27, 9 August 2008 (UTC)
This could be a fun way of creating a bit of comunity spirit and involvement. good idea Dark Lord Xander 00:55, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
- LOL ! The Caption Competition! What a great idea! Back in the late 1970's the 'Caption Competition' was a very popular long running feature of Doctor Who Weekly (for which the winner stood to win a £5 note! in the UK obviously!). The idea reoccurred throughout later issues until it matured in the slightly off-centre captioning of photos from the regular Panini title and specials. Great idea would love to see it implemented but suggest using 'action' photos rather than the unimaginative one above! Great for community building to boot!The Librarian 22:59, 14 August 2008 (UTC)
- Something different with at least two characters. How about... (first suitable picture from the image slideshow...moved lower)
- More thinking on this... we could have a page headed Caption Competition with a picture posted for each month under the month heading. Could it be promoted on the main page as a feature or how would people find it? Perhaps bearing in mind comments about how difficult it is to rearrange the main page could it be structured under the Community section more easily? The Librarian 23:17, 14 August 2008 (UTC)
- Why archive it? I can't see at this stage that page length would be a particular problem (ie month heading, picture, submitted captions (even allowing for 10!) wouldn't pose a problem for several months and might even feed peoples interest!
Who would sanction this anyway I can already see someone arguing that this is not the place for such frivolity as there isn't a wiki precedent!! I also think sourcing the image would be beneficial (also stating who selected it) like belowThe Librarian 20:16, 17 August 2008 (UTC)
- The idea of archiving (which hasn't really kicked off at this wiki but never mind) it is to make i a monthly competition with this months on the main caption page and past entries and images on the archive page keeping it short and easy to use.
As for sanctioning it. well no one needs to its a wiki that anyone can use and if the aim is to build community spirit i see no reason for it to be disputed as it will not be on the main namespace useing Tardis:Caption contest
especially since there are the Pool pages (were you guess the time the wiki will reach a certain amount of articles.) and ultimately majority rules since no one owns the wiki.
while admins have infuance they are still just users like everyone else and do not control the wiki, if enough people are behind this idea it will happen although i would like at least one admin to have some input before it was created.
But in reality nothing is stopping this being created an since at my count i see five users who support it and no users who don't Dark Lord Xander 08:46, 18 August 2008 (UTC)
- "Re-gen-eration! RE-GEN-ERATION! You have got to be kidding me!!!" - Donna Noble
The Librarian 23:08, 14 August 2008 (UTC)
I have created the page it is located at Tardis:Caption Contest, i copied the above one to it to start off with. It dosent not state how often it should be changed which is up to debate.--Skittles the hog 16:26, 24 August 2008 (UTC)