Click this button to go to discussions that need your comments and suggestions.Active forums
Please DO NOT add to this discussion.
When this wiki first started, we were the only DW wiki at Wikia (well, WikiCities, to be precise). So we started covering all aspects of DW, including merchandise. But now that the group at the Doctor Who Collectors' Wiki have stayed the course and created a functioning, thriving wiki dedicated to merchandise, I'm wondering if we really need our merchandising content any more. Do you think it's reasonable to say that our primary focus is narrative and to just let DWCW handle all the merchandise?
I don't feel strongly one way or there other. I love writing merchandising articles, and don't mind where I write them. But I do think we might want re-appraise the situation in the light of the success of the DWCW.
- We're a Doctor Who wiki. We cover everything about Doctor Who. If it says "Doctor Who" on the label, or has a picture of the Doctor, the TARDOS or associated images, we cover it. Boblipton talk to me 10:42, July 10, 2012 (UTC)
- I think that this wiki should keep the pages on Target Novelisations because they have useful information which is not on the DWCW like: Chapter titles, "deviations from the televised story", and information on cover artists.
- The Doctor Who Collectors Wiki mainly covers things like: Different editions (Including all 29 editions of Doctor Who and the Day of the Daleks!), original prices and which users have a certain book in their collection.
- Bob and Lego Whovian have touched on two elements of this.
- Though as CzechOut says it is true one of our primary focuses is narrative.
- The DWCW is a great wiki, and where its focus is at at the moment is good, there's some great information there.
- But I think our wide scope allows us to write somewhat more indepth articles than the DWCW, articles that are in our Category:Doctor Who licensed food I don't imagine turning up elsewhere.
- At the moment I think we've got a fairly good balance of our merchandise articles. Looking at figures we're not as in-depth as the DWCW, we've just got overview articles covering each 'series' like Character Options series 1 action figures.
- I'm in two minds about our DVD coverage, I think as we do at the moment covering the Home media releases (VHS/DVD/download) on story articles is correct but the box sets seem to sit somewhat oddly. But as they are a separate releases having articles for them makes some sense.
- Also, looking at the our Bred for War article and the DWCW Bred for War: The Sontaran Collection article I think they both stand as useful articles presenting their own information.
- DWCW's articles are a fairly clinical, just the facts sort of arrangement, which is good for the info they're presenting. But we on this wiki can go more in depth, or more of an overview and we're able to frame the subject of the articles with more information as is done with the intro to our Bred for War article.
- I think the two wikis function well together as we deal with information in different ways. --Tangerineduel / talk 05:41, July 23, 2012 (UTC)