This page lists appearances of the Ninth Doctor in the order in which he experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur during each of these stories. From these observations we have attempted to build a concise timeline. It is assumed that for each novel, comic or television series, their published, broadcast or numbered order is the order they occur in.
Fan sources like the Doctor Who Reference Guide should not be used solely as a source or considered a "true" timeline for stories.
Limiting factors Edit
Series basics Edit
The Ninth Doctor's non-TV stories tie directly into the television series continuity, which concludes with the same companion he started with onscreen, Rose Tyler. Hence, he has no adventures with companions original-to-audio, comics or prose. His era can be roughly be divided into adventures with the original to television companions:
- The Doctor is travelling alone and there is no mention of Rose.
- The Doctor still doesn't seem familiar with his new form.
- Rose is taking her first trip in time and space.
- This is Rose's first trip into her past.
- Rose has been travelling for only a few days. Jackie discovers Rose has been travelling with the Doctor. The Doctor, Rose et al meet the Slitheen.
- Rose mentions Gwyneth from The Unquiet Dead and has travelled with the Doctor for more than a few days, placing it after World War Three.
- Slitheen are mentioned, placing this after World War Three.
- Slitheen are mentioned and Jackie knows about Rose travelling, placing this after World War Three and The Monsters Inside.
- Rose recognises an arm on display in the Vault as Slitheen, clearly placing it after World War Three.
- Occurs directly after Dalek.
- Jack joins the TARDIS.
- Takes place before Boom Town due to Jack mentioning he has not visited Rose's time.
- Rose phones Jackie and tells her about the events of Boom Town
The following must occur before The Empty Child, due to Jack not being featured.
- No mention of a companion.
- Only way to place this in a timeline is with Rose's outfit. It's the same one she wore in Aliens of London.
- Impossible to place due to the nature in which the story is written.
- COMIC: Mr Nobody
- COMIC: The Love Invasion
- COMIC: Art Attack
- COMIC: The Cruel Sea
- COMIC: A Groatsworth of Wit
- COMIC: Death to the Doctor! (flashback)
- Rose is featured, so it is set after The End of the World. No mention of Jack, placing it before The Empty Child.
- Jack is mentioned in the Ninth Doctor's flashback, but the Doctor said that he "never heard of him", thus setting it before The Empty Child.
- Never referenced as being the Ninth Doctor. No mention of a companion either.