It's 2050 and the Eleventh Doctor and Amy Pond arrive at the New Wembly Space Stadium, where guest billing goes to The England 2010 World Cup Squad! The Doctor sees from the match programme that the England team was borrowed from the past by the Chronos Corporation. With a team of computerised robots playing in opposition, the Doctor investigates as the eleven players from the England squad walk onto the pitch.
Behind the scenes, the Doctor uses his psychic paper to pass himself and Amy off as laundry service to gain access to the England changing room. The Doctor soon recognises a perception field generator with a big on/off lever. Without hesitation, the Doctor turns it off and the players on the pitch are revealed to be multi-tentacled purple alien players.
With an angry crowd outside in the stadium, the Doctor and Amy make a sharp exit, with the Doctor explaining he knew the England team were imposters when he spotted one of them had a tentacle. What actually happened at the 2010 World Cup was interesting because...
to be added
- Written before the England team's performance at the 2010 World Cup, the outcome was never revealed but left open. (Spain won)
- The DWA comic strip adventures were very much aimed at a younger audience and the artwork and colours were bold and bright, reflecting the tone of the magazine.
- Self contained, one part stories were the norm.
Original print details Edit
- Publication with page count and closing captions
- DWA 173 (4 pages) NEXT WEEK – THE DOCTOR AND AMY GO TO THE WORLD CUP
- The aliens disguised as the England 2010 World Cup Squad resemble the Huducts. (TV: Curse of Anubis)