a real world point of view
|Main enemy:||The Ice Warriors|
|Main setting:||Antarctica, 2012|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Post production:||Steve Foxon|
|Cover by:||Alex Mallinson|
|Release date:||August 2007|
|Format:||2 CDs - 4 Episodes|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|The Vanity Box||Son of the Dragon|
Frozen Time was the ninety-eighth monthly Doctor Who audio release produced by Big Finish Productions. This was the second solo Seventh Doctor story to feature him travelling without any companions. This is the first time the Seventh Doctor and Ice Warriors have appeared in an audio together, although not the first time chronologically for the Seventh Doctor to encounter them in an audio medium, Thin Ice was the first chronological encounter between the Ice Warriors and the Seventh Doctor.
Publisher's summary Edit
Nearly a century later, his grandson funds a much-publicised return to the icy wastes. His mission: to discover what happened to the original expedition. But what he finds instead is an enigma – a battered London police box frozen in ice millennia old.
But something else lies in wait in this awful place, something from an era before humankind set foot on the continent's cold soil. A menace frozen in time.
to be added
- The Seventh Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Lord Barset - Anthony Calf
- Genevieve - Maryam d'Abo
- Professor McIntyre - Tony Millan
- Harman - Gwynn Beech
- Ben - Gregg Newton
- Arakssor - Nicholas Briggs
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor mutters names of his previous companions Melanie Bush, Ace and Hex.
- If the unspecified "millions of years," the comatose Doctor spends frozen in a block of ice are taken into account, the Doctor's age becomes entirely incalculable from this point onward, as does the age of his TARDIS.
- Lord Barset thinks he is searching for 'lizard men' or Silurians (Earth Reptiles).
- The Antarctic actually holds a Martian prison facility for war criminals.
- In addition to the 'CD Extras' there are extra tracks with just the music score (used in the audio) at the end of both CDs.
- This story was previewed in Doctor Who Magazine issue 385 with an illustration by Martin Geraghty.
- This story acts as a pseudo-sequel to Endurance, an Audio Visual story by Nicholas Briggs. It featured the original 1929 Lord Barset expedition. The Silurians from Endurance were replaced with the Ice Warriors in this story.
- This audio drama was recorded on 24 and 25 April 2007 at The Moat Studios.
- The Doctor previously visited Antarctica towards the end of his first incarnation in December 1986 (TV: The Tenth Planet), in the 1970s during his fourth incarnation (TV: The Seeds of Death) and, earlier in his seventh incarnation, in 2006 (PROSE: Iceberg) and 2045 (AUDIO: The Word Lord).
- On 12 April 1929, The Daily Telegraph reported that Lord Barset's expedition to Antarctica was lost following their claim to have found a lost city of intelligent reptiles. (COMIC: City of Devils)
- The TARDIS would later be frozen in a similar manner in PROSE: Time Zero.
- With this story taken into account, there are at least six incarnations of the Doctor visiting 2012: the Sixth Doctor and/or one of his first five incarnations (AUDIO: The Raincloud Man), the Seventh Doctor on this occasion, the Eighth Doctor in Wiltshire (PROSE: The Shadows of Avalon), the Ninth Doctor in Utah (TV: Dalek), the Tenth Doctor in London (TV: Fear Her) and the Eleventh Doctor (TV: Good as Gold). Both the Ninth and Tenth Doctors were accompanied by Rose Tyler.
- The Sixth Doctor previously flew a helicopter in AUDIO: Blue Forgotten Planet.
- The 2012 Olympic Games are mentioned. During his tenth incarnation, the Doctor would attend the games in the company of Rose Tyler (TV: Fear Her) whereas he would later do so once again during his eleventh incarnation in the company of Amy Pond (TV: Good as Gold). In the far future, radio and television broadcasts concerning the 2012 Olympic Games could be accessed via the Gogglebox inside the Moon. (AUDIO: The Reaping, AUDIO: The Gathering)
- Official Frozen Time page at bigfinish.com
- Detailed synopsis of Frozen Time at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for Frozen Time at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide