a real world point of view
|Funny Phone Call!|
|Companion(s):||Amy Pond and Rory Williams|
|Printed in:||Doctor Who Adventures |
|Release date:||8 September 2011|
|Format:||Comic - 1 part (4 pages)|
|DWA comic stories|
|Vacuum Packed||The Deadly Mutant|
While the TARDIS is travelling in the Time Vortex and the Eleventh Doctor is busy, Amy Pond and Rory Williams hear the telephone ring in the console room. Amy answers it. All she hears is static. She stops in mid-speech to play with the controls. The TARDIS is rocked and the Doctor comes running in, dressed only in a towel. He was having a swim and water has gone everywhere!
With sonic screwdriver in hand, Amy is moved away from the console. She is under some form of neuronic control that almost leads to the TARDIS breaking up. The doors fly open and Rory is only just saved from drifting out into space by the Doctor, who grabs his leg and pulls him back in, but not before a Chugra appears and tries to get aboard.
The Doctor believed the Chugra extinct. Waking Amy up from the control, the Doctor uses the neural feedback to travel to the source of the control – a Chugra Warship trapped in the vortex by the Shadow Proclamation for crimes against temporal physics.
Deciding not to help, the Doctor takes the TARDIS out of the vortex and back into normal space. The Doctor comments on the shocked look on Rory’s face – not because of the Chugra but because the Doctor has dropped his towel!
Named characters Edit
- This is perhaps the most television referenced comic strip story so far and also the most true to character script.
- This is the first time the Doctor has been seen without clothes apart from a towel.
Original print details Edit
- Publication with page count and closing captions
- DWA 234 (4 pages) NEXT WEEK – THE DOCTOR MEETS A MYSTERIOUS MUTANT!
- No reprints to date.
- Loads in this tale: the telephone ringing in the TARDIS, Amy asking if it was Winston calling, the Eleventh Doctor dressed in only a towel and armed with his Sonic screwdriver, mention of the TARDIS swimming pool and water going everywhere, Rory falling out of the TARDIS when the doors open only to be pulled back in by the Doctor grabbing a leg, and mention of the Shadow Proclamation punishing the Chugra by trapping them in the vortex.