Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Release date:||5 September 2005 (CD)|
|Format:||Radio play (original)|
CD (later release)
|BBC Radio Dramas|
In 1974, Jon Pertwee and Elisabeth Sladen reprised their roles of the Third Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith respectively for a ten-minute mini-episode, which also included an appearance by the Daleks. The episode was created in conjunction with an appearance at the Goodwood Racecourse in West Sussex and was apparently to have been played at the venue itself.
The untitled mini-episode was never broadcast. It remained hidden in the BBC Archives until 2005, when it was included on Doctor Who at the BBC Volume 3, an edition of the Doctor Who at the BBC series of CD releases (also narrated by Sladen).
to be added
Sarah Jane is at Goodwood Racecourse, West Sussex, a local horse track, and is driving the Whomobile around it. She contacts the Doctor, who says he cannot be with her because he is having his metabolism checked over on order of the Brigadier, who thinks he is not safe in Bessie, let alone the Whomobile. The Doctor tells her to have a good time, but to be careful. Sarah says that if it comes to the worst she has her Emergency Rescue call button. She wishes the Doctor well and reminds herself to bring him a bunch of grapes when she gets back.
Meanwhile, a Dalek patrol reports back to the Dalek Supreme. The Daleks search and receive readings of the Doctor's Whomobile at Goodwood in Sussex, but are disappointed to find that the two passengers of the car are both human. Despite this, the Daleks prepare to attack.
Sarah sees something on the track ahead and slows down to look at it. At first she thinks it's a "...couple of old dustbins and a garden ornament", but she soon recognises it as the Daleks, accompanied by Aggedor, the royal beast of Peladon.
She presses her Emergency Rescue call button. The Daleks order her to stop. Sarah stops, and tells them that she is tired of running into them at every stop. She threatens to report them to the racing authority. The Daleks insist that she come with them to the Dalek Supreme for interrogation.
The U.S. Cavalry arrives to help defeat the Daleks. The Daleks are overtaken, then retreat, having failed in their mission.
- Sarah considers calling Stirling Moss.
- The episode is primarily carried by Elisabeth Sladen. Jon Pertwee is heard only briefly. One notable aspect of the production is that it's the only occasion in which the name Whomobile is actually uttered in relation to the futuristic car owned by the Doctor. This suggests that this was recorded near the end of Pertwee's tenure, when the Whomobile appeared.
- The Daleks describe two humans in the Whomobile, but the second is never identified. It could be interpreted as the person listening to the story.
- Along with The Stealers from Saiph, this is one of two DWU productions to feature no surviving cast members as of 2016.
- Sarah recalls meeting the Daleks on Exxilon (TV: Death to the Daleks), as well as Aggedor on Peladon (TV: The Monster of Peladon), which has (inexplicably) accompanied the Daleks to Sussex.