|Main setting:||Inside the TARDIS, 1994|
|Season/series:||Series 6 (DVD/Bluray exclusive)|
|Release date:||22 November 2011|
|Format:||1x5 minute, mini episode|
|Confidential:||Doctor Who Confidential: The Night's Tale|
|Bad Night||First Night|
When Amy wakes to find the Doctor carrying a euphonium guiltily, she uses the opportunity to ask a question that has been bothering her for a long time.
The Doctor returns with a euphonium from another night out with River Song. Amy Pond, wide awake and sitting in her nightie on the stairs, catches him. She convinces him to tell her what he does while he's out at night, then says why she is finding it hard to sleep lately: her life doesn't make any sense. She is particularly confused as to how she can remember two versions of her life, one without her parents and one with. The Doctor comforts her and reminds her of the saddest moment of her life. It was at a fair when she dropped an ice cream. While recalling the event, she suddenly remembers a woman with red hair, dressed in a nightie, come to give her a new ice cream. When she finishes the anecdote, the Doctor is by the doors, ready to go with her to the fair.
Writer - Steven Moffat
Director- Richard Senior (uncredited)
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor "gets a bit scared" on carnival Ghost Trains.
- The Doctor claims to have helped a possessed orchestra on the moonbase, prevented two supernovas, written the history of the universe in jokes and worked as physician in Brixton.
The Doctor's TARDIS Edit
- The TARDIS' telepathic circuits can pinpoint a person's "saddest ever memory" and pilot the TARDIS to that point in space and time.
Story notes Edit
- At 4 minutes and 51 seconds, this is the longest of the Night and the Doctor shorts.
- Amy says she spent a long time alone with the Doctor before her marriage, which explains their wide range of adventures in both Doctor Who Adventures and Doctor Who Magazine, as well as The Adventure Games.
Myths and rumours Edit
To be added
Filming locations Edit
- This episode takes place entirely within the TARDIS.
Production errors Edit
- The sound made by the euphonium as the sonic screwdriver is activated into the bell is clearly a blowing sound.
- The Doctor returns from a night out with River Song. (TV: Bad Night, TV: The Wedding of River Song)
- The Doctor calls a farewell to an unseen River Song from the TARDIS doorway. He also asks her to "tell Marilyn she'll have to use the biplane". Marilyn Monroe believes she married the Doctor (although he says it wasn't a real chapel) in TV: A Christmas Carol which was also the first episode he was shown wearing the white tuxedo with the black tie that he wears in this clip.
- The Doctor remarked that he may have been late to a biplane flying lesson in TV: The Impossible Astronaut.
- Amy is again seen in her sleeping attire. (TV: The Eleventh Hour, TV: The Beast Below, TV: Bad Night)
- Amy notes that her life "doesn't make any sense." The Doctor makes the same observation in TV: The Pandorica Opens and TV: The Big Bang.
- Amy remembers both versions of her life - the "original" version, where her parents died when she was a child (TV: The Eleventh Hour) and the post-Big Bang Two version where they are still alive. (TV: The Big Bang) Amy will later remember two versions of the events at Lake Silencio during the collapsing timeline in TV: The Wedding of River Song.
- The Doctor mentions that Rory was an Auton duplicate (TV: The Big Bang). Rory has told Amy he does not remember his time as an Auton, but the Doctor says that "sometimes you catch him just staring." The Doctor and Rory had previously discussed his time as an Auton in TV: Day of the Moon
- Amy realises that she interacted with her younger self in 1994 when she bought her past self an ice-cream at a carnival to replace the one she'd dropped. She previously interacted with a younger version of herself (albeit in an aborted, collapsing timeline) in TV: The Big Bang, and several other times. (TV: Space, Time, The Girl Who Waited) See the Blinovitch Limitation Effect.
Home video releases Edit
To be added
To be added