a real world point of view
|Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith|
|Main character(s):||Sarah Jane, Luke, Clyde, Rani, Mr Smith, K9|
|Main enemy:||Ruby White|
|Main setting:||Ealing, a London junkyard, Earth orbit, and Oxford, 2010|
and Gareth Roberts
|Premiere broadcast:||15 November 2010 (Part 1)|
16 November 2010 (Part 2)
|SJA television stories|
|Lost in Time||Sky|
Part one Edit
Sarah Jane faces her saddest day, as she realises that no one can defend the Earth forever. She’s saved the world so many times, but must now hand over the task to surer hands. Clyde and Rani are distraught and the forces of darkness gather as the inevitable day approaches.
Part two Edit
Sarah Jane has gone – but a new regime begins at Bannerman Road! Clyde and Rani must face the fact that nothing lasts forever – but can they still unite as a team to face a new and deadly threat from outer space? Is the old gang finished for good?
Part one Edit
A meteor hurtles towards Earth. Mr Smith redirects it to a safer crash site and says it will contain germ pathogens. The gang hurry to neutralise the germs. The meteorite reads all clear. Then a strange woman appears, claiming to be saving the world. She drives off in a red sports car and Clyde points out that she is doing the same thing as Sarah Jane. Sarah Jane does not look pleased.
They find the woman has just moved in across the street and go to find out who she is. She behaves coldly towards them, telling them to get out of her house. Her name is Ruby White and she sees them as amateurs. She moved to Ealing because of all the alien activity — Trueman, the Bubble Shock! factory, rhinos driving police cars and alien plant life. Sarah Jane decides to stay away from Ruby, but keep her eyes open.
The next day, Gita waves to Sarah Jane on her way home. Sarah Jane says she has to make Luke's tea and then realises he is at university. Clyde and Rani go to check that she is alright. She calls Luke, just two hours after she last spoke to him. She can't remember K9's name. Rani suggests she take a holiday and visit Luke. Mr Smith gives a red alert. A fleet of Dark Horde warriors are heading for Earth. They trace the scan beam and lock onto the attic to neutralise enemy technology. Mr Smith diverts the teleport to an uninhabited area. Sarah Jane gives Clyde a gun and says they must protect the Earth by any means.
An advance party of three warriors lands on Earth. Sarah Jane plans to use a device to overload their sensors. She asks Clyde for the sonic lipstick, but he said she told him to bring the gun (which isn't even charged). Sarah Jane has made a big mistake. Then Ruby arrives and tosses spheres to Rani and Clyde. She uses an artificial intelligence to convince the Dark Horde that they are faced by a stronger version of themselves. Their logical reaction is to flee. Clyde suggests calling the AI 'Mr White'.
They take Ruby back to the attic, where Mr White gets along well with Mr Smith. Sarah Jane says she'd be glad to have an adult friend. Whilst explaining to Ruby how she became involved with aliens, Sarah Jane forgets the Doctor's name for a moment, something she can't believe she did. She orders Mr Smith to medi-scan her. He tells her there is evidence of brain tissue deterioration. Sarah Jane takes this to mean she is too old to continue defending the Earth. Ruby makes friends with Clyde and Rani, who are eager to show off their knowledge of aliens. Sarah Jane feels very left out.
Sarah Jane asks Ruby to take over the duty of protecting the Earth, offering her the house, Mr Smith and Clyde and Rani. Ruby agrees. Sarah Jane goes to leave, not even bothering to tell Luke she is going. She orders Mr Smith to wipe her voice from the command program so she can no longer give him orders. She realises something is wrong and begs Ruby to help her. Instead, Ruby teleports her to a 'secret cellar' which houses her stomach. She reveals she is the one making Sarah Jane ill, draining her life force. She is a Qetesh, whose race devours peoples' thrills and emotions. She targeted Sarah Jane, who has the most exciting life on Earth. Mr White is making a farewell message for Clyde and Rani so they will believe Sarah Jane has gone because 'she' will tell them. Ruby's stomach drains Sarah Jane directly as Ruby gloats about how she will feast on the Earth...
Part two EditRuby explains that rather than stop aliens, she will help them and feed on the excitement and terror that humanity will feel. Back in the attic, Clyde and Rani watch Mr White's faked video of Sarah Jane. Clyde can't believe Sarah Jane has simply gone. He blames Rani for putting the idea of a 'holiday' in her head. Mr Smith starts acting strangely. He tries to warn Clyde — 'Beware Ruby'. Ruby shuts down Mr Smith and teleports Clyde to her spaceship. It was her prison, until she reprogrammed its game console (Mr White). Ruby leaves Clyde in the prison to suffocate.
Rani tries to call Clyde and hears a knock at the door. She opens it to find Luke. K9, who is back in Oxford, tracks Clyde's phone to space. Rani goes to place the phone near Mr White so K9 can reset him and free Mr Smith from his influence, as well as rescue Clyde. Clyde leaves a message on his phone for the others to find, then collapses. Rani distracts Ruby, who is not convinced, but luckily K9 resets Mr White in time. Clyde and Rani go to rescue Sarah Jane. Ruby corners them in the cellar and threatens to devour them completely.
Luke arrives and gives Ruby a warning to leave Earth. When she refuses, Mr White sends a hologram so everyone on Earth sees a meteor hurtling straight for them. Ruby cannot handle the sudden inrush of emotions and thrills from six billion people. The stomach swells, then shrinks and releases all the energy it took from Sarah Jane back into her. Sarah Jane sends Ruby back to her prison ship, where Ruby swears to get revenge on her. Luke takes them all out for a treat and Sarah Jane says that although the universe is full of amazing things, they have stiff competition on Earth.
- Sarah Jane Smith - Elisabeth Sladen
- Luke Smith - Thomas Knight
- Clyde Langer - Daniel Anthony
- Rani Chandra - Anjli Mohindra
- Mr Smith - Alexander Armstrong
- K9 Mark IV - John Leeson
- Gita Chandra - Mina Anwar
- Haresh Chandra - Ace Bhatti
- Ruby White - Julie Graham
- Voice of Mr White - Eddie Marsan
Created by Russell T Davies
|Executive Producers Russell T Davies and Nikki Wilson|
|General production staff|
Camera and lighting department
|Make-up and prosthetics
Special and visual effects
|Not every person who worked on this adventure was credited. The absence of a credit for a position doesn't necessarily mean the job wasn't required. The information above is based solely on observations of the actual end credits of the episodes as broadcast, and does not relay information from IMDB or other sources.|
- Ruby refers to Sarah Jane's area as the "Ealing Triangle", a play on the Bermuda Triangle, an area in the North Atlantic Ocean where a number of planes and sea vessels have mysteriously vanished over the years.
- Ruby mentions she has a bio damper.
- When Ruby tells Clyde that Mr White is a games console, Clyde responds, "Mr White is a Playstation?".
- Mr. Smith's diagnosis of Sarah Jane is consistent with that of dementia/Alzheimer's disease. Presumably the effect of Ruby's feeding mimicked the condition.
Story notes Edit
- In a sad irony (when one considers the title), this story features the last appearance of Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith broadcast during the actress' life. Sladen died on 19 April 2011. It is not, however, the final episode of the series, as three stories (six episodes) intended for Series 5 were filmed as part of the Series 4 recording block. The series returned in October 2011. (Further irony is provided by the fact that the story features Sarah Jane apparently struck down suddenly by illness; in real life, Elisabeth Sladen's cancer was diagnosed only a couple of months before her death.)
- This is the only story featuring Sarah Jane Smith's name that does not feature The Trickster as the main antagonist.
- This episode marks K9's last appearance in The Sarah Jane Adventures.
to be added
- Luke and K9 will return. This was proven true
- This would be Elisabeth Sladen's final episode. Web speculation after the title of the episode was announced. Proven false.
Filming locations Edit
to be added
Production errors Edit
to be added
- Clyde is again splattered with alien slime. (TV: Revenge of the Slitheen, TV: Enemy of the Bane, TV: The Gift, TV: The Nightmare Man)
- Ruby White refers to Martin Trueman (TV: Secrets of the Stars), the Bubble Shock! factory (TV: Invasion of the Bane), "rhinos in a police car" (TV: Prisoner of the Judoon) and alien plant life (TV: The Gift).
- Luke is driving the Volkswagen Beetle which he was given in TV: The Nightmare Man.
- Sarah Jane says she was twenty-three when she first met the Third Doctor. Her apparent decision to retire is triggered in part when she is unable to remember the Doctor's name. (TV: The Time Warrior)
- Upon establishing the link with Mr Smith, both K9 and he say, "Contact". When meeting his first and second incarnations, the Third Doctor said this word to establish a psychic link with his younger selves. (TV: The Three Doctors)
Home video releases Edit
to be added