|Companion(s):||Fitz Kreiner, Anji Kapoor|
|Main enemy:||Inhabitants of Albert|
|Main setting:||Albert, 2890|
|Writer:||Simon Bucher-Jones and Kelly Hale|
|Release date:||1 October 2001|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 20 Chapters, 288 Pages|
|BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures|
|The City of the Dead||The Adventuress of Henrietta Street|
Publisher's summary Edit
There is a world where wishes can come true. Where any simpleton can become a king and any scullery maid might be a princess in disguise. Kindness and virtue are rewarded, and the wicked are made to dance in red-hot shoes until they die. But a witch's oven will cook both the virtuous and the wicked alike, and many a frog-prince is crushed beneath the wheels of a cart before he gets that magic kiss.
This world has its own rules and it doesn't care that a certain Doctor Know-All and his friends don't know them.
Now other outsiders have come to the world — traders from the stars seeking the treasures that fell from the rip in the sky. There are riddles to be solved, contests to win, flax to spin. The world to survive.
But the World of Wishes is itself in danger from a race of beings with only one wish. And there is a Princess asleep, and a beast awake — and Giants.
Chapter Titles Edit
- Prologue: The Prince Who Was Curious
- The Cunning Forest
- The Goblin Market
- The Black Coach
- The Face in the Glass
- How the Sisters Got Their First Wish
- The Wishing Game
- The Hut, or What Was Next for the Pot
- The Duke of Sighs
- The Golden Acorns of the Wood
- The Giant's Treasure Chest
- The Master-Maid
- Tests of True Love
- The Contest of Hit [or, The Apple and the Doctor]
- Four White Horses
- The Glass Tower
- The Cabinet of Other Worlds [or, The Third Brother and What Became of Him]
- The Beast With Three Faces
- Journey's End in White Sand Weddings
- Eighth Doctor
- Has a "not entirely human aura and pink bunny slipper fetish" (by his own admission…whether serious or not…)
- Sets up a stall in the market, under the alias of Doctor Know-All
- Fitz Kreiner
- Anji Kapoor
- Anji has an MBA
- Anji had once a friend who shoplifted lipstick from Woolworths and slipped it into her pocket so that she got the blame, and who slept with the boy she fancied at the first nightclub she ever went to, and carries a grudge for this.
- Captain Christina Morgenstern
- Fairy Belesia
- The Ogre Bricklebrit
- Fells in love with Anji
- Alex Volpe
- Duke of Sighs
- Tailor King
- William Brok
- Wulfstan Timtangle
- White Hole
- Fitz has read The Lord of the Rings, seen Forbidden Planet, and used to listen to The Goon Show.
- The TARDIS has Delia Smith's Cooking Dictionary – Book Thirty Four: Xylocarp to Zwieback in its library.
- The Doctor uses a gun to shoot his opponents' bullets out of the air.
- The Doctor used to sing a song about windmills to Miranda.
- The desolate planet Albraxiz has seas of hydrochloric acid, which mould its sapphire beaches into smooth gems.
- Fitz orders mutton stew with gravy.
- This was the 50th volume in the BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures series.
- The planet Albert shares many characteristics and stylistic features with the planet in PROSE: The Crooked World.
- The Doctor whistles Colonel Bogey. (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- The Doctor says that he is immortal on his father's side, barring accidents. (TV: The War Games; TV: Doctor Who)
- Anji recalls seeing the Doctor ride a horse on Hitchemus. (PROSE: The Year of Intelligent Tigers)
- The Doctor mentions the Kulan's attempted invasion of Earth. (PROSE: Escape Velocity)
- The Tenth Doctor would later encounter a sentient planet in PROSE: The Price of Paradise.
- Grimm Reality at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Grimm Reality at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Grimm Reality