A descendant of Rowling known as PQ Rowling wrote Harry Potter and the Half-Moon Dentist. (PROSE: Doctor Who and the Adaptation of Death) There were eleven novels. The Eighth Doctor had a complete set in his TARDIS. (PROSE: The Gallifrey Chronicles)
Martha Jones knew the books and suggested Potter's magic word "expelliarmus" to William Shakespeare to help defeat the Carrionites. The suggestion worked, to which the Doctor cheered "Good old J.K.!!" (TV: The Shakespeare Code)
Mark Whitaker owned first editions of some of the Harry Potter books. Amy Pond likened the TARDIS chasing Whitaker's train to a scene in Harry Potter, where Harry and Ron chased the Hogwarts Express in a flying car. (PROSE: Touched by an Angel)
Behind the scenes Edit
- In real life, only seven Harry Potter novels (plus several shorter spin-off works) have been published.
- In 2005, Russell T Davies asked Harry Potter's creator J.K. Rowling if she would write for Doctor Who. She refused, saying that she was "amused by the suggestion but simply doesn't have the time." She was writing the sixth Harry Potter novel at the time.
- In The Christmas Invasion, a Hogwarts-style uniform briefly appears as the Doctor considers what clothes to wear in his new incarnation.
- The Shakespeare Code, in which the Doctor references reading the seventh book, was broadcast before the book was published, during a period of intense anticipation of its release. The Doctor doesn't mention the book's title, as it had not been revealed by the time the episode began filming.
- According to his 2008 autobiography A Writer's Tale, Russell T Davies also considered basing the 2008 Christmas special around an appearance by Rowling.
- Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe was a name thrown out by Russell T. Davies to play the Eleventh Doctor.[source needed]
- Other actors who have appeared in the Harry Potter films who have been considered for the role of the Doctor include Jim Broadbent, John Cleese, Robbie Coltrane, Richard Griffiths and Alan Rickman.[source needed]
- In fact, David Tennant and John Hurt are the only actors to appear in Harry Potter to play the Doctor.
- When filming the 2005 series Russell T Davies commented upon the difficulty of finding little person actors for Doctor Who because Harry Potter and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were filming at the same time.
- Harry Melling, who plays Dudley Dursley in the film series, is the grandson of Patrick Troughton. However he never met him, as Patrick died before he was born. David Troughton is his uncle.
- Alfie Enoch, who plays Harry’s friend and dorm-mate Dean Thomas, is the son of William Russell.
- David Tennant is, just like the Tenth Doctor, a huge fan of the Harry Potter series. David appeared in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire as Death-Eater Barty Crouch Jr. Roger Lloyd-Pack appeared in the same movie as the father of David's character.