|Heroes of Sontar|
|Companion(s):||Nyssa, Tegan, Turlough|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Post production:||Jamie Robertson|
|Cover by:||Anthony Lamb|
|Release date:||April 2011|
|Format:||2 CDs, 4 parts|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|Industrial Evolution||Kiss of Death|
Heroes of Sontar was the one hundred and forty-sixth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. Released in April 2011, it was the first story in that year's trilogy of stories featuring the Fifth Doctor along with Tegan Jovanka, Vislor Turlough and an older Nyssa who rejoined them in Cobwebs. This was the first Big Finish audio story to feature the Sontarans.
Publisher's summary Edit
Planet Samur was once a peaceful haven. Pilgrims journeyed across the seven galaxies to meditate in the courtyards of the vast Citadel that spanned its equator. It was Samur's misfortune, however, to find itself situated on the furthermost frontier in the eternal war between the amoeboid Rutan Host and the belligerent, troll-like Sontarans...
Twenty years after detonating a bacteriological weapon over Samur, rendering it uninhabitable, the Sontarans are back: a select platoon of seven has landed here on a secret mission, carrying sealed orders given to them by Fleet Marshal Stabb.
The TARDIS has landed here, too, bringing the Doctor, Tegan, Turlough and Nyssa into the second great Battle of Samur. Fighting not only the Sontarans, but mystical mercenaries... and a deadly, decades-old curse.
Part one Edit
to be added
Part two Edit
to be added
Part three Edit
to be added
Part four Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Nyssa - Sarah Sutton
- Tegan - Janet Fielding
- Turlough - Mark Strickson
- Fleet Marshal Stabb / Trooper Jorr/ Witch Guard - John Banks
- Field-Major Thurr/ Adjutant/ Orbital Command - Duncan Wisbey
- Sergeant Mezz/ Trooper Nold - Alex Lowe
- Corporal Clun - Andrew Fettes
- Trooper Vend - Derek Carlyle
- The Latin phrase Dulci et decorum est pro patria mori (translated into English as "It is sweet and fitting to die for one's country") is inscribed on the scroll of honour of Brendon Public School, dedicated to the former students who were killed in wars.
- Tegan's aunt Vanessa was seemingly fond of saying, "Bog off."
- Corporal Clun is 35 years old, which is very old for a Sontaran.
- The Doctor visited Samur approximately thirty years earlier.
- The planet Samur marked the point of the Sontaran's furthest incursion into Rutan space.
- It is the Sontaran martial year 5709. It is unclear how the Sontaran calendar relates to the human Anno Domini calendar.
- This marks the first time that the Fifth Doctor faces the Sontarans in his personal timeline. He would later do so again in AUDIO: The Five Companions, PROSE: The Eight Doctors and PROSE: Lords of the Storm.
- Tegan claims that the Mara is no longer in her system. (AUDIO: The Cradle of the Snake)
- The Sontarans are still angry about "that Gallifrey incident." (TV: The Invasion of Time)
- Nyssa tells Tegan that she is married to a man named Lasarti and that they have three children named Neeka, Tegan and Adric, who is the youngest and a teenager. Furthermore, she implores Tegan not to tell the Doctor in order to maintain the Web of Time as he will not find out that she was married until shortly before his regeneration into the Sixth Doctor. (AUDIO: Winter)
- The Doctors refers to his encounter with Jingo Linx in the 13th century during his third incarnation. (TV: The Time Warrior)
- Nyssa mentions encountering the Rutans in Stockbridge in 1199. (AUDIO: Castle of Fear)
- Nyssa uses the name of her late father Tremas as her access password. (TV: The Keeper of Traken)
- Turlough refers to the underground complexes on Heiradi. (TV: Frontios)
- Turlough would later encounter the Sontarans for the second time in the Unukalhai system in 2371. (PROSE: Lords of the Storm)
- Nyssa previously encountered the Sontarans in an alternative Death Zone on Gallifrey. This event has yet to take place in the Doctor's personal timeline. Notably, Nyssa does not appear to remember this incident. This is consistent with the Doctor's statement that her memory of her experience in the alternative Death Zone would most likely be hazy after she was returned to her rightful place in history, namely Terminus in the 35th century. (AUDIO: The Five Companions)
- Previous Sontarans the Doctor has met are mentioned, one Sontaran prays by the name of Linx (TV: The Time Warrior) and the Fleet Martial says the Doctor is to be tortured in accordance with the works of Field Major Styre. The Doctor was unaware Styre had published them (TV: The Sontaran Experiment).
- Turlough as a Junior Ensign Commander outranks some of the Sontarans on Samur. (TV: Planet of Fire)
- The Stabb plans to torture the Doctor using Styre's notes on the human body. (TV:The Sontaran Experiment)
- Official Heroes of Sontar page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Heroes of Sontar at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide