a real world point of view
|Printed in:||Doctor Who Adventures 141|
|Release date:||12 November 2009|
|Format:||Comic - 1 parter (4 pages)|
|DWA comic stories|
Stranded in a forest, the Tenth Doctor and Heather McCrimmon try to hitch a lift from a passing horse-drawn coach. Lady Harrington-Fletcher is wary of highwaymen. She orders the coach on, only to be stopped a bit further by a gun-wielding, masked highwayman, who surprisingly leaves the valuables but takes possession of Lady H’s ammonium carbonate (smelling salts).
The highwayman has gone by the time the Doctor and Heather catch up with the coach but Lady H offers a reward of five pounds. Very soon all three are off in pursuit. Lady H, craving adventure follows as the Doctor uses his sonic screwdriver to scan for alien technology and lead them to the highwayman. The Doctor guesses rightly that the highwayman is a robot. He uses his sonic screwdriver to scramble his circuits enough for the Doctor to re-programme it.
The robot soon leads them to a crashed Cyrronak space pod in a wooded clearing. The pilot was injured and the robot went out in disguise to collect carbon. With all the carbon the ship needs to leave, Lady H spots an armed mob approaching the pod through the forest on a scanner. The Doctor, Heather and Lady H create a distraction outside, while the pod escapes, its chemical engines giving off a green gas-like fog that also makes the mob fall asleep.
Fortunately the Doctor had found some nose plugs aboard the pod. These stop them falling asleep. The mob will wake in about ten minutes with no memory of what had happened and Lady H assures the Doctor that she will keep the adventure quiet – nobody would believe such a fantastic tale anyway.
to be added
- The DWA comic strip adventures were very much aimed at a younger audience and the artwork and colours were bold and bright, reflecting the tone of the magazine.
- Self contained, one part stories were the norm in the early issues, later being expanded to two-parters.
Original print details
- Publication with page count and closing captions
- DWA 141 (4 pages) NEXT WEEK! Doomsilk!
- The Tenth Doctor is seen wearing his brown coat and his blue suit.
- The Tenth Doctor uses his sonic screwdriver to scramble the robot highwayman's circuits and to activate the ship's controls in order to view the exterior of the ship on the scanner.