Hothouse was the second release of the third series of Big Finish Productions' Eighth Doctor Adventures audio stories. It was a sequel to the 1976 Doctor Who television story The Seeds of Doom and the first appearance of the Krynoids since 2002's The Green Man.
Publisher's summary Edit
Somewhere in the south of England stands the Hothouse. Five vast, state-of-the-art biodomes, all steel and glass. Inside, rock star turned environmental activist Alex Marlowe has a plan to save the world from climate change. By any means necessary...
There's something growing inside the Hothouse. Something that could turn back humanity's tide. A voracious alien vegetable called the Krynoid. The Doctor's going to have to stop it. Stop Marlow. Stop Marlow's fanatical acolyte, Lucie Miller...
Save the world. By any means necessary.
to be added
- The Doctor - Paul McGann
- Lucie Miller - Sheridan Smith
- Alex Marlowe - Nigel Planer
- Hazel Bright - Lysette Anthony
- Christina Ondrak - Adna Sablyich
- Stefan Radek - Stuart Crossman
- Newsreader - Barnaby Edwards
- The Eurozone has closed its borders.
- Hazel Bright is part of the World Ecology Bureau.
- Hazel contacted UNIT to use the space-time telegraph to contact the Doctor.
- Alex Marlow runs the League of Nature, an extremist ecology group.
- Krynoids are affected by high pitched noises.
- Krynoids have previously featured on audio in two BBV Productions audio dramas: The Root of All Evil and The Green Man. However, this is their first appearance in a Big Finish audio drama.
- This audio drama was recorded on 13 September 2008.
- The story was initially released as a download on the Big Finish website on 21 and 28 March 2009.
- The Doctor is still recovering from the six hundred years he spent on Orbis. (AUDIO: Orbis)
- The World Ecology Bureau has files on the Harrison Chase incident and the Doctor's involvement in that incident. (TV: The Seeds of Doom)
- The space-time telegraph was first referred to in TV: Revenge of the Cybermen and was briefly seen in TV: Terror of the Zygons.
- The Eurozone is mentioned. (PROSE: Trading Futures, AUDIO: The Time of the Daleks)
- By 2060, the Amazon ecosystem had collapsed and the rainforests had turned to desert. (AUDIO: Loups-Garoux)
- Official Hothouse page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Hothouse at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide