Equipped with space suits, golf clubs, and a flag, the Doctor and Rose are planning to live it up, Apollo mission-style, on the Moon. But the TARDIS has other plans, landing them instead in a village on the south coast of England; a picture-postcard sort of place where nothing much happens. Until now...
An archaeological dig has turned up a Roman mosaic, circa 70 AD, depicting mythical scenes, grapes - and a Dalek. A few days later a young woman, rushing for work, is knocked over and killed by a car, then comes back to life. It's not long before all hell breaks loose, and the Doctor and Rose must use all their courage and cunning against an alien enemy - and a not-quite-human accomplice - who are intent on destroying humanity.
to be added
- Some birds that live where Kate Yates works are curlews and kingfishers.
- The Tenth Doctor plans to confuse future explorers by planting a Women's Institute flag on the Moon.
- This short novel (or novella) was the first release under a subsidiary banner of BBC Books, Quick Reads, an initiative to promote literacy. Quick Reads novellas are considerably shorter than the usual releases in the BBC Tenth Doctor Adventures line, roughly equivalent in word count to some of the shorter Target Books novelisations. I Am a Dalek was released exclusively in paperback format, the first New Series Adventure to not be published in hard cover.
- This novella was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- 69,000 copies have been sold.[source needed]
- This is the Tenth Doctor's first encounter with the Daleks. He would later encounter them in TV: Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, COMIC: Carnage Zoo/Flight and Fury/The Living Ghosts/Extermination of the Daleks, and PROSE: Prisoner of the Daleks.
- This isn't the first time the Daleks attempted to use modified humans as puppets: The Fifth Doctor had already faced Dalek duplicates in TV: Resurrection of the Daleks; The Dalek Emperor had managed to produce pure-blood Daleks from human DNA in TV: The Parting of the Ways; Dalek Sec had turned himself into the first Dalek-human hybrid as an experiment to convert all humans to Daleks in TV: Daleks in Manhattan; and the Eleventh Doctor was captured by a Dalek puppet and met Oswin, an echo of Clara Oswald, who had suffered a complete Dalek-conversion in TV: Asylum of the Daleks.
- The Dalek Factor plan is similar to the Dalek Emperor's plan in TV: The Evil of the Daleks
- Rose recalls destroying the Daleks after absorbing the Time Vortex. (TV: The Parting of the Ways)
- Official I Am a Dalek page at Penguin Books
- The Discontinuity Guide to: I Am a Dalek at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: I Am a Dalek