Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Into the Silent Land|
|Writer:||Steven A. Roman|
|Part of:||Short Trips: Farewells|
|Short Trips short stories|
|The Very Last Picture Show||Wake|
The Doctor finds himself in his dream garden. He is approached by his first incarnation, who wonders what he is doing here. The Fourth Doctor realises he shouldn't be here, because he hasn't regenerated yet, and wonders if his next regeneration is approaching.
As the TARDIS dematerialises, the Doctor wakes from his dream. He has been feeling his age lately.
The Doctor and Romana have arrived in Maine for the funeral of the Doctor's friend, Hannah Gites. Romana has noticed the Doctor's recent strange behaviour. She wonders if he's reaching the end of this incarnation, and the thought saddens her.
After the funeral, the Doctor introduces himself to Hannah's daughter, Giselle. She gives him a book that he had left behind on his last visit.
Back in the TARDIS, Romana asks the Doctor how he was friends with Hannah, and he replies that Hannah helped him with his roses. She also questions him on his new clothing. She is becoming worried about him.
In the dream garden, the Doctor again encounters his first incarnation, who tells him that the Second and Third Doctors also visited the garden and made additions to it. The First Doctor tells the Fourth that it's not his time yet, but that "the moment has been prepared for".
The Doctor finally tells Romana what has been bothering him: what will happen to him when he regenerates. She reminds him of all the good he has done, and it seems to cheer him up. He decides they need a holiday.
- The Second Doctor planted forget-me-nots in the garden.
- The Third Doctor wanted to erect a statue in the garden.
- This story acts as something of a prequel to the television story Logopolis, with the appearance of the Watcher and the issue of the Fourth Doctor's approaching demise being the centre plot.
- The Doctor changes his brown coat with multi-coloured scarf to a burgundy coat with black and red scarf. (TV: The Leisure Hive)
- The Second Doctor planted flowers in the garden when the Time Lords forced his regeneration. (TV: The War Games)
- At the end of this story, the Doctor offers to take Romana to Brighton. (TV: The Leisure Hive)
- The Doctor tells Romana about the planet where his face is carved on the mountain. (TV: The Face of Evil)