a real world point of view
|Island of Death|
|Companion(s):||Sarah, the Brig|
|Main enemy:||The Skang|
|Main setting:||UNIT HQ. London, 1970s|
|Cover by:||Black Sheep|
|Release date:||July 2005|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 281 Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|Match of the Day||Spiral Scratch|
Island of Death was the seventy-first BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Third Doctor, Sarah Jane Smith and Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart. This is author Barry Letts' first solo PROSE novel (he had previously written Deadly Reunion with Terrance Dicks).
Publisher's summary Edit
"He would learn nothing from the internal organs - and for a very good reason: there was nothing there. The dead girl's body was literally just skin and bone."
Sarah Jane Smith enlists the help of the Third Doctor and the Brigadier, and their investigations take them halfway across the world, to a remote island that has been turned into a paradise for the followers of the cult.
But the island is not what it seems, and neither is the Skang itself; and the Doctor and his companions are faced with the task of saving not only its devotees but the whole of mankind from a loathsome death.
to be added
- The Doctor
- Sarah Jane Smith
- Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart
- Sgt Benton
- Jeremy Fitzoliver
- Mrs Fitzoliver
- Alex Whitbread
- Hilda Hutchens
- Will Cabot
- Sister Helga
- Brother Dieter
- Major Chatterjee
- Mr Gorridge
- Peter Andrews
- Commander Gene Hogben
- Bob Simkins
- Chris Watts
Anatomy and physiology Edit
- Regeneration causes unpredictable gaps in memory.
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor uses the phrase "two shakes of a sluggerlug's tail".
- A sneg is a kind of hairy newt.
- A flubble is a Gallifreyan animal resembling a small-nosed, six-legged koala.
- A Schlenk Blossom is a type of Gallifreyan flower.
Foods and beverages Edit
- The Doctor and Sarah drink hot rum toddies after being rescued at sea.
- The Doctor also drinks port.
- The Brigadier drinks Scotch while he's on the plane to Bombay.
- The Doctor has met Charles Darwin.
- Sarah Jane Smith lives in an attic bedsit near Hampstead Heath.
- Sarah's father is from Liverpool.
- Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart is an only child.
United Nations Intelligence Taskforce Edit
- Most of the men under the Brigadier's command at UNIT are ex-SAS professionals.
to be added
- Detailed synopsis of Island of Death at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Island of Death at The Whoniverse