Publisher's summary Edit
Escaping the shadowy presence of the mysterious Professor Claudius Dark, Jago, Litefoot and Leela take a holiday in Brighton. There, Jago meets and falls for music hall singer Abigail Woburn, a relationship that threatens to split the infernal investigators apart, as dark forces gather on the beach...
to be added
- Henry Gordon Jago - Christopher Benjamin
- George Litefoot - Trevor Baxter
- Leela - Louise Jameson
- Ellie Higson - Lisa Bowerman
- Sergeant Quick - Conrad Asquith
- Abigail Woburn - Elizabeth Counsell
- George Nevil - Matt Addis
- Mr Kempston - Christopher Beeny
- Mr Hardwick - Mike Grady
- Professor Claudius Dark - Colin Baker
- Leela tells Jago and Litefoot that she is "obliged" to stay in the 1890s.
- Jago first met Gypsy Nancy Lee while he was the proprietor of the Palace Theatre in the 1880s.
- Litefoot tells Leela that Queen Victoria apparently hated staying in the Royal Pavilion in Brighton as she felt exposed to the public gaze. She therefore decided to sell the royal residence to Brighton for £53,000.
- Abigail Woburn wears a "theatrical" wig as she suffers from alopecia areata.
- Jago refers to the serialised adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson by Arthur Conan Doyle featured in The Strand magazine. He believes that he and Litefoot are the inspiration for the characters.
- Both of Jago's parents are dead. His mother claimed that he "had all the grace of a bull in a china shop."
- Both George Nevil and his fiancée Mary Elizabeth Reilly were killed in a freak snowstorm in Brighton on 14 August 1887.
Story notes Edit
- The first scene is a reprise of the final scene of the audio story Chronoclasm.
- The music hall song "Poor Little Dolly" was originally featured in the Sapphire & Steel audio drama Water Like a Stone, likewise written by Nigel Fairs.
- Leela tells Jago and Litefoot that the Doctor spoke of holidaying in Brighton. (TV: Horror of Fang Rock) He and Romana II were more successful in their attempt to reach Brighton but arrived during the winter rather than the summer. (TV: The Leisure Hive) During his fifth incarnation, he attempted to travel to Brighton in 1880 but instead arrived in Hove in 2008. (AUDIO: Cuddlesome) The Sixth Doctor and Evelyn Smythe would later visit Brighton in 1936. (AUDIO: Pier Pressure)
- Litefoot mentions that his house is still in a state of disarray. (AUDIO: Chronoclasm)
- Jago told Abigail that Leela has slaughtered "monstrous dragons and Chinamen." (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- It was later revealed that both the Sandman and Abigail were created by Mr Kempston and Mr Hardwick from soil obtained from Bedfordshire. (AUDIO: The Hourglass Killers)