|Biological type:||Humanoid rhinoceros|
|Notable individuals:||Tybo, Rok Ma|
|First seen in:||Smith and Jones|
|Another memorable moment|
|One more memorable moment|
The Judoon were a race of rhinocerid humanoids frequently employed as a mercenary police force. They were known to be single-minded in carrying out their tasks, without regard for unintended consequences of their actions.
Judoon were two-metre high humanoids with stocky builds and rhinoceros-like heads. They had large lungs to breathe even in environments with low levels of oxygen. They were resistant to even harsh physical assault, such as being hit with a marble statue.(TV: Smith and Jones) Judoon had yellow blood. (TV: Prisoner of the Judoon) They had rather small brains; a Judoon brain was able to fit in a chest that could easily be held in a humanoid palm. (WC: Prequel (A Good Man Goes to War))
The Judoon were known for their strict obedience to the law and their brutal efforts in maintaining it. Crimes like physical assault towards a Judoon incurred the death penalty, without chance for trial. The Doctor described them as logical, but stupid, and they seemed to favour methodical patterns of behaviour to a fault. (TV: Smith and Jones) Even on crucial missions, Judoons would obey local laws and signs, including traffic laws and "Authorised personnel only" and "Pay and Display" signs. Similarly, they would follow mission procedure rigidly and always get a form signed when commandeering transport. The Judoon were trained to use all known forms of transit, albeit not very well in the case of cars. (TV: Prisoner of the Judoon)
Their language was composed of many one-syllable words ending in a vowel, generally an "o" sound (such as "blo mo co jo") but occasionally an "a". Each sentence was composed of several of these words strung together. (TV: Smith and Jones, The Stolen Earth, PROSE: Judgement of the Judoon)
A favourite sport among the Judoon was nukeball, but it was illegal on their planet to avoid the destruction of the population. (PROSE: The Coming of the Terraphiles) Judoon did not like opera. (COMIC: The Great Mordillo)
Communication and scanning Edit
The Judoon had scanners which would tell the Judoon the species of the scanned being. However, the scanners could be fooled by previous close contact with another species. Metamorphic beings capable of altering their internal biology using assimilated biomatter could also deceive the scan. They also were known to use a thick marker pen to mark "catalogued" people - those who had been scanned and deemed not to be a suspect - on their right hand.
The Judoon had translation devices which worked by analysing the recorded voice of a being. The translation was reciprocal. It also had a contact device that reached every Judoon helmet, allowing the Judoon Captain to give orders with a press of a button. (TV: Smith and Jones)
Judoon rockets Edit
- Main article: Judoon rocket
Other transportation Edit
Weaponry and armour Edit
The 'execution' punishment was delivered using a directed energy weapon with a red beam which could incinerate the target.
The Judoon were originally a warlike race. They became mercenaries for various Galactic organisations, including the Padrivole Regency and the Shadow Proclamation. (WC: Captain Jack's Monster Files) They came to be one of the universe's most trusted mercenary races largely at the expense of the Ogrons, who lost their dominant position as "hired guns" because of a string of defeats by the Third Doctor. (COMIC: Fugitive)
In 102, the Judoon were among the races who joined the Alliance. They came to Stonehenge and helped imprison the Eleventh Doctor in the Pandorica in order to save the universe. (TV: The Pandorica Opens)
In 1902, while working for the Galactic Council, the Judoon were conned into assisting in a plot to use Temporal Reversion Devices on Earth. As they abducted Balmoral Castle during this, the misunderstanding would be known as "the Balmoral Incident". As a result of this, the Judoon were banned from Earth. (WC: Captain Jack's Monster Files, PROSE: Revenge of the Judoon) As events transpired, however, this ban was ultimately temporary.
At some point after the 1980s, the Judoon came to Earth, despite it being out of their jurisdiction. They came to the house on Allen Road, looking for an Eye of Akasha. The Fifth Doctor followed them and was forced to help them look for it after they threatened Tegan. He handed it over and let them leave, but using sleight of hand he switched the Eye with a cricket ball. (COMIC: The Forgotten)
In 2008, a Plasmavore who was pretending to be an old lady called Florence Finnegan murdered the Child Princess of Padrivole Regency 9 and then escaped to the Royal Hope Hospital. The Judoon used an H2O scoop to transport the Royal Hope Hospital to the Moon, as they had no jurisdiction over Earth. The Plasmavore had drunk the blood of a human, though, and passed as a human to their scanners. The Tenth Doctor was able to make her drink his blood, making her seem like an alien again. Martha Jones then convinced the Judoon to check her again. Finding her to be the alien they sought, they killed her. The Judoon then returned the hospital to Earth. (TV: Smith and Jones) The Judoon also investigated Slitheen activities on Earth. (TV: Revenge of the Slitheen)
In 2009, Captain Tybo of the 1005th Judoon Guard crashed on Earth while transporting the prisoner Androvax. Androvax escaped, and Tybo (wounded in his pursuit) was forced to accept help from Sarah Jane Smith and her friends. He was eventually able to track Androvax down and return him to custody. He initially sentenced Rani and Clyde to disintegration for interfering with his pursuit (by locking him in a EM shielded room), but he later commuted their sentences to planetary confinement after they helped prevent Androvax from escaping. (TV: Prisoner of the Judoon) The Judoon later took Androvax to a prison planet in the Calysteral cluster. (TV: The Vault of Secrets)
In late 2010, a Judoon was hypnotised by the Krulius as part of his army of alien slaves led by him to attack Sarah Jane's house. Clyde used a detention force bubble to trap the Judoon. After he defeated several other of the aliens, the Judoon regrouped with the army and the Krulius ordered them to retreat. (COMIC: Defending Bannerman Road)
When the Council of Dead were planning to sell humans in slavery, they had to avoid the attention of the Judoon. The Eleventh Doctor believed he could scare off the buyers, the Zu'nar, with the threat of the Judoon. (PROSE: Attack of the Snowmen)
In 2487, the Judoon investigated the Invisible Assassin. They tracked it to New Memphis. The Tenth Doctor believed they would cause more harm than good and agreed to work with the Judoon commander, Rok Ma, provided the other Judoon kept off the planet. With the help of Nikki Jupiter, they were able to find the Invisible Assassin, bring down two criminal empires and find the bombs planted within Terminal 13. After the mission, Rok Ma left the Judoon forces and joined Nikki's detective Agency. (PROSE: Judgement of the Judoon)
In the 52nd century, Dorium Maldovar procured security software for the headless monks by extracting it from the memory of a Judoon trooper. (WC: Prequel (A Good Man Goes to War)) Later, a squad of Judoon were part of the Eleventh Doctor's army which assaulted Demons Run in order to rescue Amy Pond and her baby. When Colonel Manton gave the Clerics the order to abandon Demons Run, the Judoon escorted them off the station. (TV: A Good Man Goes to War)
In 5,000,000,057, the Judoon had become corrupted and had joined forces with the Cybermen. Together, the two armies invaded New Earth with plans to upgrade and enslave the population. However, they were stopped by the Tenth Doctor and Martha. (COMIC: In-Flight Entertainment)
Undated events Edit
- The Judoon were behind the loss of Extron's body. (COMIC: The Monster Upstairs)
- Following the activities in the Silver Devastation, Judoon were sent to pick up the criminals. (PROSE: The Game of Death)
- The Tenth Doctor described being in a mind-reading device “like he has gone six rounds with a Judoon bare-knuckle boxer”. (COMIC: The Green, the Bad and the Ugly)
- Some Judoon firearms were part of a shipment taken from the Hub that was then stolen by a rogue CIA Special Operations Division. (PROSE: The Men Who Sold the World)
- At least one Judoon was abducted and sent to face their fear in the Minotaur's Prison Ship. (TV: The God Complex)
- The Judoon worked as security officers at the Spaceport One. These Judoon dressed in red as opposed to black. Rory Williams ran into one and informed the Judoon officer of a Reptilodon invasion led by General Mystan. (PROSE: Rory's Adventure) The Judoon were soon on the scene to arrest the invading Reptilodons before anyone was hurt. (PROSE: Amy's Escapade)
- Judoon were summoned on the planet Agratis after the theft of the precious Jewel of Fawton. They became placid and friendly once the original legal owners, a species of crystalline creatures, were awakened and Jewel was returned to them. (COMIC: Prisoners of Time)
- Judoon ships were seen among the fleets above Trenzalore who travelled there in response to the First Question. They were either destroyed or retreated when the Daleks broke through the planet's force field and the Siege of Trenzalore grew into a war. (TV: The Time of the Doctor)
Behind the scenes Edit
The Brilliant Book 2012 Edit
According to The Brilliant Book 2012, a book that contains non-narrative based information this wiki does not consider a valid source, the Church had plans to complain to the Shadow Proclamation about the Judoon's involvement with the Doctor.
The Visual Dictionary Edit
- Judoon's thick skins were capable of withstanding most forms of attacks and their ears were capable of selective hearing.
- Judoon slept with their boots on to show their dedication to their job. They also believed that a studded kilt was the sign of a warrior.
- Judoon armour was sealed to allow them to survive in hostile environments. Their knees, feet, wrists and torsos were heavily armoured and reinforced for both offensive and defensive purposes.
- The Judoon encountered the Sycorax at some point before 2006. The Sycorax who invaded Earth had belts made of Judoon skin.