- You may be looking for the titular planet.
Kursaal was author Anghelides' first full length contribution to Doctor Who; his previous contribution was the short story Moving On in 1996.
Eco-terrorists want the project halted to preserve vital archaeological sites -- areas containing the last remains of the long-dead Jax, an ancient wolf-like race whose remains are being buried beneath the big-business tourist attractions.
Cut off from the TARDIS, separated from his companion and pursued for murder, the Doctor discovers Kursaal hides a terrible secret — and that Sam is being affected by events more than anyone would guess...
to be added
- Eighth Doctor
- Samantha Jones
- Security Chief Paul Kadijk
- Professor Amy Saraband
- Maximilian Gray
- Bernard Cockaigne
- Claire Johnson
- In Latin, "Alius" means "other".
- The Doctor refers to Kursaal as a cross between Disneyland and Babylon 5.
- When Sam's mind is controlled, she desires the Doctor as her consort.
- The Doctor isn't fond of hospitals because of his 'birth trauma'. (This probably refers to his regeneration, which happened at Walker General Hospital, rather than his literal birth.)
- The Doctor mentions the Mars-Venus run.
The Doctor's items
- The Doctor has a box of everlasting matches.
- Samantha Jones failed year 7 biology. She kills Paul Kadijk while controlled, though doesn't remember it. However, she still agonises over the Tractite she killed, which she does remember.
- Professor Amy Saraband is the leader of the archaeological dig on Kursaal, hired by Maximilian Gray
- Maximilian Gray is the owner of GrayCorp. He is attacked by the Jax and is infected whilst he was alive, resulting in him becoming the Jax leader.
- HALF are a protest group. (Their name stands for Helping All Life Forms.)
- Bernard Cockaigne is the leader of the protest movement, HALF.
- Geomyde are rat-headed humanoids with fluffy brown cheeks.
- Caballans are long-faced and have horse-like nostrils.
- Haxalians rotate their forehead antennae as a sign of agitation.
- Fodorans have yellow hair and blue skin.
- Brascan hermaphrodites look like orangutans in boiler suits.
- Emorgans are humanoid.
- Some other visitors to Kursaal are Alpha Centurians and Ogrons.
- When Sam is taken over by the Jax, her eyes glow green rather than her natural blue.
- Maximilian Gray is attacked by the Jax and is infected whilst he was alive, resulting in him becoming the Jax leader.
- Claire Johnson, a HALF activist, gets killed by the Jax and becomes a Jax Drone.
- In The Eight Doctors Sam's eyes are blue, in Alien Bodies they're green, in this novel they're green when she's possessed and blue when she's not.
- A virus like werewolf appears in TV: Tooth and Claw.
- TV: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy also features a werewolf affected by any moon (not necessarily Earth based).
- AUDIO: Loups-Garoux and PROSE: Wolfsbane both feature Earth based werewolves.
- The Doctor dislikes hospitals because of his 'death' in one in TV: Doctor Who.
- Sam thinks of the Tractite she killed in self defence. (PROSE: Genocide)