|Main setting:||Hirath, ex-Thanos system, 3177|
|Cover by:||Black Sheep|
|Release date:||2 March 1998|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 16 Chapters, 276 Pages|
|BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures|
|Option Lock||Legacy of the Daleks|
Longest Day was the ninth BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures novel featuring the Eighth Doctor and Samantha Jones. It is the beginning of a brief story arc centring around Sam's brief departure from the Doctor. Longest Day is the first of two Doctor Who novels written by Michael Collier. The other is The Taint which introduces Fitz Kreiner.
Publisher's summary Edit
The planet's unique biosphere is being exploited by an uncaring company happy to rent out temporally isolated chunks of the planet to the highest bidder — no questions asked. But the controlling computer seems to be malfunctioning, and the viability of the whole planet hangs in the balance — along with countless thousands of lives.
Arriving at Hirath's control base, the Doctor and Sam are soon separated and trapped on the dying planet. While Sam becomes the focus of attention in a barren penal settlement, the Doctor discovers the secret of Hirath's unique condition — just as a race of hideous bloodthirsty alien creatures arrive in force to reclaim it.
Caught up in a desperate struggle for survival, it seems time has run out for every living creature on Hirath — not least Sam and the Doctor...
to be added
- The TARDIS library first editions of Charles Dickens' books and unfinished drafs of Alpha Centauran poetry.
- When regaining consciousness the Doctor mentions the names Liz and Simon, and they got married at St Oswalds.
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor has books stored on LEGO bricks.
Time travel Edit
- Time Trees grow in heavy-metal rich soil.
- The Doctor's Volkswagen Beetle gets driven through the corridors of the space station.
- This is the first novel in the quadrilogy concerning Samantha Jones' brief departure from the TARDIS. The novel's final page is a promotion listing the three upcoming instalments.
- An alternate cover has appeared on several online shopping sites such as Amazon.co.uk. Notably, the alternate cover refers to the author as "Mike" Collier, instead of "Michael."
- The TARDIS console is said to be five-sided. It obviously is a mistake, the console seen in the movie really having six sides.
- Sam thinks back to when she fought Krotons (PROSE: Alien Bodies) and Daleks. (PROSE: War of the Daleks)
- Longest Day at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Longest Day at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Longest Day