|Lords of the Storm|
|Main enemy:||Sontarans. Rutan Host|
|Main setting:||Raghi, Unukalhai system, 2371|
|Writer:||David A. McIntee|
|Release date:||7 December 1995|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 22 Chapters, 281 Pages|
|Virgin Missing Adventures|
|The Empire of Glass||Downtime|
Lords of the Storm is the seventeenth novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by David A. McIntee. It features the Fifth Doctor and Vislor Turlough. It is one of two novels published in 1995 that features the Sontarans; in fact, this novel serves as a prequel to the other novel, Shakedown, which in itself is an adaptation of a spin-off video drama.
Publisher's summary Edit
- "They've been fighting this war for longer than man has been walking upright, and they don't take prisoners."
The war between the Sontarans and the Rutans has been raging for millennia. Billions have died and whole star systems have been obliterated in the conflict. Now, finally, one side may have victory within its grasp.
The human colony world of Raghi is crucial to that victory. When the Fifth Doctor and Turlough arrive there, they find a seemingly stable society ruled by a strict caste system. But all is not as it seems. Members of the lower caste are being struck down by a mysterious illness. People are vanishing in their hundreds. And strange objects have been observed orbiting the sun.
Why is Raghi so important to the feuding alien empires? And how high a price will the galaxy pay if the conflict comes to an end?
to be added
- Some of the terms, including the planets and their sun, are named after Indian mythology. At the back of the book is a list of references including the various Sontaran clans, Rutans and the celestial bodies in the story.
- The Sontarans name the class of their ships after distinguished Sontarans, e.g. Linx class cruiser is named after Linx.
- This serves as a prequel to the events in the novel Shakedown.
- The Tzun also appear in the novels First Frontier, Mission: Impractical and Bullet Time.
- Turlough previously encountered the Sontarans on Samur. (AUDIO: Heroes of Sontar)
- The Sontarans have records of the Doctor from their encounters with him in England in the 13th century, (TV: The Time Warrior) Gallifrey, (TV: The Invasion of Time) Samur (AUDIO: Heroes of Sontar) and Spain in 1985. (TV: The Two Doctors)
- Turlough mentions Kamelion (TV: The King's Demons) and the fact that the Doctor is the Lord President of Gallifrey. (TV: The Five Doctors)
- The Doctor refers to the destruction of the sonic screwdriver by the Terileptil leader in September 1666. (TV: The Visitation)
- The Doctor recalls that, during his fourth incarnation, he and Leela encountered the Tzun on Mimoza II. (PROSE: First Frontier)
- The Doctor mentions that he intends to repair the chameleon circuit in the future. (TV: Attack of the Cybermen)
- The Doctor tells Turlough that the Sontarans will not be back until the time of the solar flares in approximately 13,000 years. (TV: The Sontaran Experiment)
- Lords of the Storm at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Lords of the Storm at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Lords of the Storm