|Main character(s):||Jack, Gwen, Ianto|
|Main enemy:||The Neutron eaters, Oliver Harrington|
|Main setting:||Cardiff and the Large Hadron Collider on the French-Swiss border, 2009|
|Premiere broadcast:||10 September 2008|
|Premiere network:||BBC Radio|
|BBC Radio Dramas|
Lost Souls is an original BBC Radio 4 audio play written by Joseph Lidster. It aired on 10 September 2008 in the Afternoon Play slot as part of Radio 4's Big Bang Day. It celebrated the switching on of CERN's Large Hadron Collider that day. Andrew Marr introduced the audio play live from CERN. An MP3 version of the audio play was made available for seven days after broadcast. It was released on CD on 18 September 2008.
Publisher's summary Edit
When scientists start to disappear prior to the activation of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, Switzerland, Dr. Martha Jones of UNIT asks her friends at Torchwood 3, still grieving over the recent death of two colleagues, to investigate.
to be added
- Captain Jack Harkness - John Barrowman
- Gwen Cooper - Eve Myles
- Ianto Jones - Gareth David-Lloyd
- Martha Jones - Freema Agyeman
- Julia Swales - Vineeta Rishi
- Professor Johnson - Lucy Montgomery
- Dr Harrington - Stephen Critchlow
- Leon Foiret - Mark Meadows
- Flight Attendant - Lucy Montgomery
- The Torchwood team are still grieving the deaths of their colleagues Owen Harper and Toshiko Sato. Reference is made to a funeral service, which Martha Jones attended; that was her most recent meeting with the Torchwood team prior to this adventure.
- The team are heard in pursuit of recurring Torchwood monsters Weevils.
- An alien creature poses as the ghosts of Owen, Toshiko and Ianto's deceased girlfriend, Lisa Hallett.
- Jack uses the phrase "reverse the polarity" (a phrase the Third Doctor often used).
- Martha wishes she had a sonic screwdriver when she tries to open a locked door.
- CERN is located at Geneva, the location of UNIT's world headquarters as established during the 1970s.
- Gwen mentions the Bahamas.
- Ianto and Gwen ride bikes to help them navigate the underground passages at CERN. Ianto is delighted to learn his bike has a bell and rings it.
- Vineeta Rishi reprises her role as Julia Swales from TV: Smith and Jones. She previously played Meena Cartwright in AUDIO: The Longest Night and would later play Dawon in AUDIO: The Emerald Tiger.
- When greeting Martha, Jack welcomes her with the words "voice of a nightingale", the phrase he used on her arrival in the Torchwood episode Reset and again when she telephoned him in TV: The Stolen Earth.
- Julia Swales was first seen working alongside Martha in TV: Smith and Jones.
- When Jack mentions Martha's fiance, he is presumably referring to Thomas Milligan, rather than Mickey Smith. The last time Martha saw the team was at Tosh and Owen's funeral, before the Medusa Cascade incident occurred, which is when she met Mickey Smith.
- Evidently this isn't the first time that CERN was involved with creating a black hole, as K9 Mark IV was tasked with fixing a black hole created by an earlier experiment in Switzerland. (TV: Invasion of the Bane)
- Liz Shaw joined CERN after leaving UNIT in the 1970s. (PROSE: Country of the Blind)
Download and CD release Edit
Lost Souls was released by BBC Audio in both CD and MP3 download formats on 18 September 2008, only a week after broadcast (ISBN 978-1-4056-8944-1). Straight after initial broadcast, for one week only, internet users could download the radio serial free from the BBC website. The CD also includes the BBC Radio Wales feature Torchwood: All Access. Presented by Julian Carey and aired to coincide with the debut of Series 2, this is a 25-minute documentary on the Welsh aspects of the program, featuring interviews with Russell T Davies, Eve Myles, Gareth David-Lloyd, Kai Owen and behind-the-scenes personnel. The mastering of the track contains an error that results in several minutes of discussion regarding the Hub set and its construction being repeated.
- Lost Souls at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- "Lost Souls" at BBC Radio 4's website
- Transcript of Lost Souls at Chrissie's Transcripts Site