Publisher's summary Edit
Ace is dead. Or at least she will be — soon... In a secret room deep inside the TARDIS the Doctor has been examining the body of Ace's future self. He now knows how she was killed, where she was killed and when she was killed. What he doesn't know is why...
To find the truth the Doctor makes a dangerous decision and takes the unsuspecting Ace to the very time and place of her death, hoping to cheat time and find her killer before he can strike — but time has other ideas. With Ace missing and the clock ticking the Doctor turns to old friends for help and finds that there is unfinished business for him to deal with.
What is the secret experiment being conducted by the British Rocket Group? Why are giant ants appearing in the suburbs of 1950s London? Who is the mysterious figure that is watching the Doctor's every move?
As events spiral out of control the Doctor realises that someone is manipulating time with careless disregard for the consequences to Ace — or the rest of the universe...
to be added
- The Seventh Doctor
- Cody McBride
- George Limb
- Rita Hawks
- Arthur Baulstrode
- Ivy Baulstrode
- Bill Collins
- Bill Hark
- Davey O'Brien
- Edward Drakefell
- Emily Desmond
- Miles Dumont-Smith
- Sarah Eyles
- Thomas Kneale
- Vasser Dust is a waste bi-product of time travel
- The Waverider was an experimental space plane developed by the British Rocket Group
- This story is a sequel to the novel Illegal Alien.
- There is an alternative cover which features a different newspaper, called the London Inquisitor, providing the exact same headlines.
- The title "Loving The Alien" is a reference to the 1985 single by David Bowie off his 1984 album "Tonight".
- The Doctor recalls Melanie Bush's death at the hands of Wakeling. (PROSE: Heritage) These events turned out to be the doing of the Council of Eight. The Council had eliminated the Doctor's companions from the timeline by causing their deaths. This was corrected when the Doctor's eighth incarnation defeated the Council. (PROSE: Sometime Never...)
- Mel left a menu from Shangri-La in her room when she left the TARDIS. (TV: Delta and the Bannerman)
- Ace still has the Soviet insignia that Captain Sorin gave her in 1943. (TV: The Curse of Fenric, Survival)
- The Doctor laments the destruction of his sonic screwdriver by the Terileptil leader in September 1666. (TV: The Visitation)
- The Doctor tells McBride that he has destroyed planets. (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks)
- The Doctor recalls his first visit to Skaro. (TV: The Daleks)
- The Doctor remembers that he was unable to prevents the Mondasians from being converted into Cybermen when he visited Mondas during his fifth incarnation. (AUDIO: Spare Parts)
- The British Rocket Group has already been established. (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks; PROSE: Who Killed Kennedy)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Loving the Alien at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Loving the Alien