a real world point of view
|Main enemy:||Piper O'Rourke, IMC|
|Main setting:||Lucifer system, the moon of Belial|
|Writer:||Jim Mortimore and Andy Lane|
|Release date:||May 1993|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 346 Pages|
|Virgin New Adventures|
Lucifer Rising is the fourteenth novel in the Virgin New Adventures series. It was written by Jim Mortimore and Andy Lane. It was the first full novel to feature the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Bernice back together after Ace's reintroduction in the previous novel.
"If I'd wanted to spend the rest of my life hoofing it around grimy spaceships for no good reason I'd have stayed in Spacefleet."
Ace is back. And she is not in a good mood.
Bernice has asked the Doctor to bring the TARDIS to the planet Lucifer, site of a scientific expedition. It's history to her: the exploration of alien artefacts on Lucifer came to an abrupt halt three centuries before she was born, and she's always wondered why.
Uncovering the answer involves the Doctor, Bernice and Ace in sabotage, murder, and the resurrection of eons-old alien powers.
Are there Angels on Lucifer? And what does it all have to do with Ace?
to be added
- Bernice made her reputation excavating Ice Warrior citadels on Mars, which formed part of her first visit back to Earth (after she fled from Spacefleet). During the excavation, she made love to a man named Tim in the egg chamber.
- E flat minor is the Doctor's favourite key.
- The Doctor levitates while meditating in his cell.
Foods and beverages
- The Doctor likes Arcturan tea as well as Earl Grey and Lapsang souchong and thinks that tea tastes better out of a Wedgwood pot.
- Ace finds it hard to sit down to eat a meal with people after her time in the Spacefleet eating ration packs or eating from food machines.
- Bernice carries a hip flask containing alcohol doped with various smart chemicals.
- Ace dreams of being naked and stabbing someone.
- This is the first appearance of the "modern" Adjudicators.
- Lucifer is a gas giant orbited by the moons Belial, Moloch, Astarte and Demogorgon.
- There is a sea of zelanite on Lucifer.
- The Rills have a political system in which the uglier one is, the more power one attains.
- The inhabitants of Delphon find the surgical removal of limbs to be highly sexually alluring.
Sectors of space
- In the Axorc Sector it is considered to be the height of good manners to serve oneself up for dinner on special occasions.
- Cold fusion generators can be made from Zyton Seven fused with hymetusite using a parranium catalyst.
- In an article in DWM 252 Andy Lane recalled:
The original plot for Lucifer Rising had the Cybermen as the primary villains. A group of them had found religion and were travelling the universe in a space-going cathedral. Until a fairly late stage (in fact, after contracts had been signed) Legion in was, in fact an Alpha Centauran.
- A prelude to this novel was published in DWM 199.
to be added
- Prelude to Lucifer Rising as published in DWM #199
- Detailed synopsis of Lucifer Rising at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Lucifer Rising at The Whoniverse