Made of Steel was a novella written by Terrance Dicks. It was the second Doctor Who Quick Reads release, and is notable for being the first appearance of Martha Jones in any medium. It predated the broadcast of Smith and Jones by a month.
Publisher's summary Edit
A deadly night attack on an army base. Vehicles are destroyed, building burned, soldiers killed. The attackers vanish as swiftly as they came, taking highly advanced equipment with them.
Metal figures attack a shopping mall. But why do they only want a new games console from an ordinary electronics shop? An obscure Government Ministry is blown up — but, in the wreckage, no trace is found of the secret, state-of-the-art decoding equipment.
When the TARDIS returns the Doctor and Martha to Earth from a distant galaxy, they try to piece together the mystery. But someone — or something — is waiting for them. An old enemy stalks the night, men no longer made of flesh...
- Tenth Doctor
- Martha Jones
- Dexter Hanson
- Captain Sheila Sarandon
- Cyber leader
to be added
- This was the first BBC Wales-related work to be written by prolific Doctor Who writer Dicks.
- This is the first time the Cybermen have featured in a prose piece since the beginning of the revived series. They would not appear in text again until Plague of the Cybermen featuring the Eleventh Doctor. The Cybermen had, however, featured in past novels such as Killing Ground, Illegal Alien and Iceberg.
- This novella was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- Because this novel refers to the events of Smith and Jones, and The Lazarus Experiment, but was released well before either, it slightly spoiled those episodes. This wasn't the first time prose from Dicks had spoiled a televised story; his novelisation of The Five Doctors was also released in advance of transmission.
- The Torchwood episode Cyberwoman also focuses on the issue of Cybermen left behind after the events of Doomsday.
- Martha indicates that she is the cousin of Adeola Oshodi, a Torchwood Institute employee who died in Army of Ghosts. This fact was confirmed in the later-released Smith and Jones.
to be added