|Main enemy:||Sperano, Managra|
|Release date:||21 September 1995|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 32 Chapters, 329 Pages|
|Virgin Missing Adventures|
|Invasion of the Cat-People||Millennial Rites|
Publisher's summary Edit
- "Europa is infested by ghosts, vampires, werewolves, ghouls and other grotesques spawned from old European folklore. I think we're in a spot of bother, Sarah Jane."
Europa, designed by lunatics a thousand years in the future, is a resurrected Europe that lives in an imaginary past.
In Europa, historical figures live again: Lord Byron combats Torquemada's Inquisition, Mary Shelley is writing her sequel to Frankenstein and Cardinal Richelieu schemes to become Pope Supreme while Aleister Crowley and Faust vie for the post of Official Antichrist.
When the Doctor and Sarah Jane arrive, they are instantly accused of murdering the Pope. Aided only by a young vampire hunter and a revenant Byron, they confront the sinister Theatre of Transmogrification in their quest to prove their innocence.
Chapter Titles Edit
- Part One: Crimes at Midnight
- Part Two: A Walk in the Black Forest
- Part Three: A Bolt from the Black
- Part Four: Persona Non Grata
to be added
- Pope Lucian
- Mad Byron, Bad Byron and Dangerous Byron
- Mary Shelley
- Prince Ludwig of Bavaria
- Elizabeth Bathory
- Cardinal Richelieu
- Cardinal Torquemada
- Cardinal Agostini
- Cardinal Maroc
- Cardinal Borgia
- Aleister Crowley
- Doctor Faust
Cultural references from the real world Edit
- Sarah Jane Smith thinks about the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm when looking at the Black Forest. She expects to find a werewolf, a witch, Hansel and Gretel, the Little Red Riding Hood, and the Big Bad Wolf.
- Jung the Obscure was a 23rd century theorist.
- Sarah viewed the Third Doctor as a father figure of sorts but thinks of the Fourth Doctor as more of a mad uncle.
- The word "Managra" is an anagram of "Anagram".
- The time in which the Doctor and Sarah land is around three centuries after PROSE: Original Sin.
- At one point in the story, the Doctor is stabbed in the heart and survives due to the other one. His binary vascular system saves him again when he is stabbed in AUDIO: Son of the Dragon, PROSE: The Left-Handed Hummingbird, PROSE: Camera Obscura and TV: The Shakespeare Code.
- The Doctor tells Sarah that he played the role of the Doctor in the debut performance of Macbeth in the Globe Theatre in 1609 while King James I was in the audience. (PROSE: The Empire of Glass)
- The Doctor refers to the Monk. (TV: The Time Meddler, TV: The Daleks' Master Plan)
- The Doctor mentions that he has met Torquemada twice. The first time, his first incarnation and his companions Vicki Pallister and Steven Taylor spent several days in Spain after defeating the Monk in 1066 and were nearly killed by the Spanish Inquisition at Torquemada's orders. (PROSE: The Empire of Glass)
- Sarah mentions that her parents, Eddie and Barbara Smith, were killed in a car crash when she was a child and she was raised by her paternal aunt Lavinia Smith. (TV: The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith)
- Although they have never met, Sarah Jane is aware of the Master. She would later encounter him in the Death Zone on Gallifrey in the company of the Third Doctor. (TV: The Five Doctors)
- The Doctor refers to E-Space. (TV: Full Circle, State of Decay, Warriors' Gate)