Publisher's summary Edit
Marco Polo recognises in the TARDIS a means of winning favour with the Emperor. But in the end the Doctor has no one but himself to blame for the loss of his wondrous travelling machine–which he gambles away to Kublai Khan...
Chapter titles Edit
- The Roof of the World
- The Emissary of Peace
- Down to Earth
- The Singing Sands
- The Desert of Death
- A Tale of Hashashins
- Five Hundred Eyes
- The Wall of Lies
- Too Many Kan-Chow
- Rider from Shang-Tu
- The Road to Karakorum
- Mighty Kublai Khan
- Best-laid Schemes
- Key to the World
Deviations from televised story Edit
- Marco Polo does not have a sword fight with Tegana to save Kublai Khan.
- Tegana was killed by a arrow from Ling-Tau. In the televised story, Tegana killed himself with his sword.
- Kublai Khan gifts the TARDIS to the Doctor for saving his life, rather than Marco Polo stealing the keys to the ship.
- The bandit Kuiju is not killed in the novel.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- Dedication: In fond memory of the Inimitable Original, William `Bill' Hartnell
- Along with The Myth Makers, this novelised title had the highest first print run of the Target novelisations (65,000).
Cover Gallery Edit
British publication history Edit
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK
to be added