Publisher's summary Edit
The year is 2163. Ten years since the Daleks invaded the Earth. One year until the Doctor, in his first incarnation, will help bring the occupation to an end. But for now, their reign of terror goes on.
The TARDIS brings the Doctor and Peri to Scotland – enslaved, like everywhere else on the planet. But there are rumours of Dalek-free islands off its coast. Places where resistors and refuseniks are coming together, gathering arms and armour, preparing to strike back against the enemy.
When the Doctor falls in with an unlikely group of freedom fighters making that dangerous journey to Orkney, he finds himself trapped — but not only by the Daleks, their robotised henchmen and their human collaborators.
Because history shows that for another year, resistance is useless...
The rebellion must fail — and as a Time Lord, the Doctor can do nothing to help.
Part one Edit
to be added
Part two Edit
to be added
Part three Edit
to be added
Part four Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Peri Brown - Nicola Bryant
- Moira Brody - Tracy Wiles
- Alan Weir - Brian McCardie
- Ross Nicolson - Sean Biggerstaff
- Kyle Inskip - Hugh Ross
- Curbishly - Damian Lynch
- The Daleks/Roboman - Nicholas Briggs
Cultural references to the real world Edit
- The Doctor compares Moira to Rob Roy, about whom he says he could tell Peri stories.
- Peri likens the Robomen to Boris Karloff.
- The Doctor says that his tricks are better than Houdini's.
- The Doctor mentions Jamie McCrimmon.
- The Doctor reminds Peri that she was born in Baltimore to Paul and Janine Brown.
- The Doctor recalls visiting Scrabster Harbour with Dodo in 1947.
The Daleks Edit
- The Daleks make use of transolar discs.
- The Doctor is interrogated by a Black Dalek, distinct from the Supreme Controller.
- There is a strong resistance movement in the Orkney islands.
- There have been resistance movements in Australia and China, but these were crushed by the Daleks within days
- The Daleks have set-up plantations of Varga plants on Earth.
- Peri remembers Boston Harbour.
- Peri refers to the web of time.
- The story's title is often quoted by the Daleks:
- Taking place in 2163, which is stated to be a year before the invasion ends, the story explicitly dates the Dalek invasion as happening between 2152 (when the meteorite bombardment began, as far as Kyle is able to recall, although his memory is a bit fuzzy) and 2164, based off the calendar the Doctor and Ian find in The Dalek Invasion of Earth. This is at odds with other stories including The Daleks' Master Plan, GodEngine, Lucifer Rising and The Mutant Phase, which date the invasion in the ten years between 2157 and 2167.
- The First Doctor aided in ending the Dalek occupation of Earth in (presumably) 2164, (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth) after the Seventh Doctor later released a biological agent that would help some humans survive the Dalek plagues, enabling him to have assistance. (PROSE: Lucifer Rising) He tells Peri that he said goodbye to someone "very precious" on that day. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- Varga plants first appeared on Kembel. (TV: Mission to the Unknown) They are native to Skaro. (AUDIO: Purity)
- Slythers also appear on Earth. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- Peri refers to her time on Krontep in the 24th century. (TV: Mindwarp; AUDIO: The Widow's Assassin)
- Peri mentions spending a long time apart from the Doctor. (AUDIO: The Widow's Assassin)
- Peri describes the Daleks on Earth as looking more primitive than the ones that she met on Necros. (TV: Revelation of the Daleks)
- The Doctor tells Peri that he once had the opportunity to avert the creation of the Daleks. (TV: Genesis of the Daleks)