Mutter's Spiral was the Time Lord designation for the galaxy in which the solar system was located. (TV: The Deadly Assassin, et. al.) Humans knew Mutter's Spiral as the Milky Way or as Adric referred to it, Galaxia Kyklos. (TV: Four to Doomsday) By the time of Sabalom Glitz, it also went by the name of the Stellian Galaxy. (TV: The Mysterious Planet)
Mutter's Spiral was approximately one hundred thousand light-years in diameter. Its nearest significant neighbouring galaxy was the Andromeda Galaxy. It was also surrounded by several nearby minor satellite galaxies, such as Galaxy Seven, (PROSE: The Eyeless) and the two dwarf galaxies the Larger Magallenic Cloud and Smaller Magallenic Cloud (AUDIO: The Last Voyage).
The Doctor frequented Earth, a planet in Mutter's Spiral. (TV: An Unearthly Child, et al.) On one occasion, Earth was moved out of the galaxy to the Medusa Cascade by the Daleks. (TV: The Stolen Earth)
Galactic trends Edit
- Oseidon had the highest radiation level in the galaxy. (TV: The Android Invasion)
- Binary vascular systems were not common in sentient species. (PROSE: Tragedy Day)
- The Tenth Doctor claimed humans were the only species in the galaxy to invent edible ball bearings. (TV: Fear Her)
- There were no metamorphic insectoids in the Galactic vector containing the Mutter's Spiral. (TV: The Unicorn and the Wasp)
- Tivoli was the most conquered planet in this galaxy, leading to its inhabitants (like Gibbis) welcoming invasion and subjugation. (TV: The God Complex) Other sources claimed that Earth was the most invaded, not only in the Mutter's Spiral but in four more galaxies. (PROSE: Borrowed Time)
- Xaos was said to be the oldest planet in the galaxy. (COMIC: The Warrior's Story)
- The Akoshemon system, and indeed its planets such as Akoshemon itself, were located right on the very edge of this galaxy, so much so that from Akoshemon's moon you could see the gap between this galaxy and its nearest one. (PROSE: Fear of the Dark)
Planets and Star Systems Edit
Mutter's Spiral was divided into four quadrants. In the Third Quadrant there were at least 8,023 sectors, with Sector 8023 containing Earth. (TV: Logopolis) Another sector was the Kappa Galanga sector, which contained the Lasron solar region. (PROSE: Prisoner of the Daleks) There were several galactic arms, including the Perseus arm where Mogar was located, (TV: Terror of the Vervoids) a western arm (PROSE: Between the Wars: A Slow Night in Paradise) and a secondary and tertiary arm (PROSE: Burning Heart).
- Main article: Galactic law
There were several forms of galactic government. The Galactic Alliance was one governing body. (TV: From Raxacoricofallapatorius With Love) It was also under the dominion of the Shadow Proclamation. (TV: The Stolen Earth)