a real world point of view
|Mission to Magnus|
|Adapted from:||Mission to Magnus|
|Main setting:||Magnus, the 24th century|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Release date:||December 2009|
|Format:||2 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|The Lost Stories|
|The Nightmare Fair||Leviathan|
- You may be looking for the novelisation of the un-produced serial.
Mission to Magnus was the audio adaptation of the un-produced television serial of the same name. A part of Big Finish's The Lost Stories range, it was written by the writer who originally submitted it to the television production team in the mid-1980s, and featured the main actors who would likely have starred in it had it been made as a part of its originally-intended season.
Publisher's summary Edit
The Doctor and Peri face enemies at every turn on the planet Magnus. There's the Time Lord bully Anzor, who made the Doctor's life hell during his time at the Academy. There's also Rana Zandusia, the matriarchal ruler of the planet, who seeks to prise the secret of time travel from these alien visitors. Also on Magnus is the slug-like Sil, still bitter from his defeat on the planet Varos and seeking to make his fortune from the most potentially destructive ends. And, deep within the planet, there is something else. Another old enemy of the Doctor's. And the future is looking decidedly colder...
to be added
- The Doctor – Colin Baker
- Peri Brown – Nicola Bryant
- Sil – Nabil Shaban
- Anzor – Malcolm Rennie
- Madamme Rana Zandusia – Maggie Steed
- Jarmaya/Tace – Susan Franklyn
- Ulema/Soma – Tina Jones
- Vion – William Townsend
- Asam – Callum Witney Mills
- Brorg/Vedikael/Grand Marshall/Ishka – Nicholas Briggs
- Skaarg/Jarga/Hussa – James George
to be added
- This audio play is an adaptation of an unproduced story from 1986 that was already novelised by Target Books.
- This story features Sil, who had recently appeared in TV: Vengeance on Varos and would later appear in TV: Mindwarp. However in the latter story, Sil states that it was the first time that he has seen the Doctor and Peri since their encounter on Varos.
- This audio drama was recorded on 18 and 19 February 2009.
- Upon meeting an older version of Peri in Los Angeles in 2009 who possessed no memory of their travels together beyond their first encounter on Lanzarote in May 1984 (TV: Planet of Fire), the Doctor mentions Sil and the Ice Warriors in an attempt to jog her memory. (AUDIO: Peri and the Piscon Paradox)
- The Doctor recalls his encounters with the Ice Warriors on Earth during his second incarnation (TV: The Ice Warriors, TV: The Seeds of Death) and on Peladon during his third incarnation (TV: The Curse of Peladon, TV: The Monster of Peladon).
- During his fifth incarnation, the Doctor and Peri encountered the Ice Warriors on their native Mars in the both 2000s (AUDIO: Red Dawn) and their earlier history before becoming a warrior culture (AUDIO: The Judgement of Isskar, as well as on Peladon in the 41st century (AUDIO: The Bride of Peladon).
- Official Mission to Magnus page at bigfinish.com
- Mission to Magnus at the Doctor Who Reference Guide