|Main setting:||Vega VI, 42nd century|
|Read by:||Nicholas Briggs|
|Cover by:||Tom Saunders|
|Part of:||Short Trips: Dalek Empire|
|Reprinted in:||Short Trips: Re:Collections|
|Short Trips short stories|
|Mutually Assured Survival||none|
|Subscriber Short Trips|
|One Small Step...||Lepidoptery for Beginners|
|Short Trips Rareties|
|The Toy||Lepidoptery for Beginners|
- You may be looking for the comic story Museum Piece.
The Doctor arrives in a Velyshaan museum dedicated to the Dalek War. He meets Kalendorf there, an old soldier. They reminisce about the war. The Doctor needed to meet Kalendorf so he could help him make a decision that would destroy the Daleks, albeit at the cost of everything the Doctor holds dear, namely Gallifrey and Time Lords.
A nearby Dalek in a display cabinet is not as dead as it seems and has charged enough power for one shot of its energy weapon. It sees the Doctor and Kalendorf and has to make the decision of which to kill. The Dalek chooses and fires. A nearby school child runs in front of the Doctor and Kalendorf and takes the shot. Kalendorf responds by destroying the Dalek. He turns around to see that the child is dead and the Doctor is nowhere to be seen. Kalendorf concludes that the Doctor had made his decision.
- Reference is made to the Last Great Time War, as the Doctor's choice is linked to his decision not to destroy the Daleks in his fourth incarnation.
- The Doctor is wearing a frock coat.
- The Doctor mentions the planet Tsan.
- The Court of Cenotaphs is a building on Vega VI.
- The Doctor knows that he is going to regenerate soon.
- This story was subsequently released as a free audiobook download by Big Finish Productions for subscribers whose subscription includes The Eternal Summer, read, directed, composed, and sound designed by Nicholas Briggs. On 30 September 2016, the audio was made available for general release as part of the Short Trips Rarities range, with a new cover by Tom Saunders.
- This story was picked by Nicholas Briggs to be reprinted in Short Trips: Re:Collections.
- The Doctor recalls how he first met Daleks and thought that he got rid of them then. (TV: The Daleks)
- When Kalendorf asks the Doctor to use his time machine to prevent Daleks from ever appearing, the Doctor recalls that he had such a chance. (TV: Genesis of the Daleks)
- The Doctor talks about the last time that he met Kalendorf on Zaleria whilst in his seventh incarnation. Kalendorf does not recognise the Doctor as he has regenerated in the interim. (AUDIO: Return of the Daleks)
- The Doctor states that the decision he is struggling to make could rid the universe of the Daleks, but would come at the cost of "everything [he knew]". (TV: Dalek, The Night of the Doctor)
- Kalendorf mentions that the Knights of Velyshaa are trying to develop time travel. (AUDIO: The Sirens of Time)
- The Doctor also knew that he was going to regenerate in PROSE: The End.
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Museum Peace at The Whoniverse
- Official Museum Peace page at bigfinish.com