|Main setting:||London, 1998|
|Cover by:||Black Sheep|
|Release date:||2 February 1998|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 16 Chapters, 281 Pages|
|BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures|
Publisher's Summary Edit
Landing in present-day England, all appears serene as the Doctor and Sam emerge from the TARDIS into the idyllic grounds of the Silver family's ancestral home. Only when they enter the house do they suspect things are not what they seem.
How far-reaching is the strange power of a secret society almost 700 years old, and how is it linked to the mysterious Station Nine? And what is the significance of a series of paintings that drove a man to suicide?
From thirteenth-century England to the former Soviet Union, from the United States to the cold wastes of space, the various strands of a complex plan come together and threaten to engulf the world in a nightmare of nuclear destruction...
Chapter Titles Edit
- Dark Ripples
- Towards Oblivion
- Melodrama in the Night
- Sudden Darkness
- Quiet Whispers
- Approaching Darkness
- Right to the Edge
- The End of the World
- Blazing Fire
- Information Received
- Back to Work
- Not with a Bang
- Releasing the Codes
- Dark Waters
to be added
- Eighth Doctor
- Samantha Jones
- Captain William Pickering
- Norton Silver
- Penelope Silver
- Matthew Siolfor
- President Tom Dering
- Vice-President Jack Michaels
- Pete Kellerman
- Henry Tanner
- Miss Allworthy
- General Howard Kane
- Colonel Anatoli Roskov
- Sergeant Gregor Roskov
- Private Ivan Roskov
- Lieutenant Ivigan
- Colonel Jean-Pierre Tannerie
- Paul Sargent
- Samantha Jones still bites her fingernails. She gets hypnotised and memories hidden. She tries growing her hair longer than its usual short cropped cut, but regrets the decision when she is pulled by it toward a Khameirian.
- Norton Silver is a freelance hypnotist for the Ministry of Defence.
- Pete Kellerman is the replacement of America's previous national security advisor who was assassinated. He is also a member of the alchemists and also a descendant of the original alchemists.
- Tanner and Allworthy are Silver's servants and are also descendants of the original alchemists and members of their society.
- Colonel Anatoli Roskov is the commander of the Nevchenka nuclear base in Krejikistan. He is a member of the Alchemist society.
- Khameirians look like gargoyles. They have a remarkable will to survive. They see their bodies as just vessels for their consciousness.
- The Khameirians were at war with the Yogloth.
- Station Nine is a military missile platform.
- Sam sees a full moon and shudders, remembering the recent events in PROSE: Kursaal.
- The epilogue features an older Sam Jones who does not travel with the Doctor; this must take place after PROSE: Interference - Book Two.
- The title of each chapter is taken from the final paragraphs of the preceding one.
- Option Lock at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Option Lock at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Option Lock