Original Sin is the thirty-ninth New Adventures novel, first published in 1995. It featured the Seventh Doctor and Bernice Summerfield and introduced new companions Adjudicators Roz Forrester and Chris Cwej.
Publisher's summary Edit
"I'm playing with a fire so dangerous I could scorch eternity."
The last words of a dying alien send the Doctor and Bernice to thirtieth-century Earth in an attempt to avert an unspecified disaster. Before they can even unpack they've been arrested by the Adjudicators and sentenced to death by the Imperial army. Their attempts to prove their innocence take them from the mosaic planet Purgatory to a prison inside a star.
Meanwhile, Adjudicators Roz Forrester and Chris Cwej have their own problems. Investigating a series of apparently motiveless murders, they have stumbled upon a conspiracy with sinister overtones. On the run and out of luck, the only people they can turn to are their chief suspects: the Doctor and Bernice.
And as they run, someone is watching them. Someone who knows the Doctor of old...
to be added
- Seventh Doctor
- Bernice Summerfield
- Christopher Rodonanté Cwej
- Roslyn "Sarah" Forrester
- Professor Zebulon Pryce
- Tobias Vaughn
- Fenn Martle
- Provost-Major Beltempest
- Doc Dantalion
- Annie Falvoriss
- Homeless Forsaken Betrayed and Alone
- Powerless Friendless And Scattered Through Space
- Hater of Humans And Leader Of Hith
- Hopeless Itinerant Taking The Blame
- Dweller In Sorrow Abandoned And Lost
- Waiting For Justice And Dreaming Of Home
- Avenging Injustice And Burning With Ire
- Krohg is the control nexus for the Skel'Ske.
Colleges and universities Edit
- Pryce is a member of the University of Sallas.
- Chris Cwej's father graduated from Ponten IV in 2905.
- Chris made (and painted) model spaceships when he was young.
Foods and beverages Edit
- Vaughn has kept himself "alive" using Cyberman technology and also funded the BOSS, Professor Kettlewell and the National Institute for Advanced Scientific Research's robotics research and also Whitaker's Time Scoop.
- Lady Genniploritreludar taught the Doctor stellar engineering at the Academy.
- The Divine Empress rules the Empire from her palace orbiting Saturn.
- Overcities are large tower blocks the size of cities which have large anti-grav engines allowing them to hover over the undercity below.
- The Imperial Landsknechte headquarters are on Purgatory.
- The prison planet Dis is inside the photosphere of a red giant.
- The Guild of Adjudicators is over 800 years old.
- Roz spent two years training on Ponten IV.
- This story is set a few years following the Wars of Acquisition.
- Vaughn scavenged Cyberman bodies from 1985 (TV: Attack of the Cybermen), 1986 (TV: The Tenth Planet) and the post-Cyber-Wars period (TV: Revenge of the Cybermen).
- The manner in which the Divine Empress is hooked into the computer system is extremely similar to the Controller in TV: Bad Wolf.
- The Divine Empress reappears in PROSE: So Vile a Sin.
- Vaughn funded:
- The Doctor says that Romana tried out various genetic configurations before she settled on one. (TV : Destiny of the Daleks)
- The Doctor remembers a cave on Metebelis Three and the radiation sleeting through his body. (TV: Planet of the Spiders)