- You may wish to consult
Out of Time (disambiguation)for other, similarly-named pages.
Out of Time was the tenth episode of the first series of Torchwood. It saw the fracturing of Gwen Cooper's affair with Owen Harper even further when he struck a second libido-driven relationship with Diane Holmes, who was removed from a bygone era after passing through the Cardiff Rift. Although Owen meant to use her simply for sexual favours, pleasure gave way to romance and he began falling in love with her. However, Diane chose to part ways with Owen and return to the past through the Rift. The hope of seeing her again later influenced him to spur a disastrous act near the end of the series.
A plane called the Sky Gypsy lands on a Cardiff air strip. Out step the pilot, Diane Holmes, and passengers Emma-Louise Cowell and John Ellis. The Torchwood team welcome them. The people on the plane think that they are in the year 1953. Jack informs them they fell through the rift and were transported over fifty years into their future. The team make it their duty to look after the occupants of the plane until they can adapt to the 21st century. At first, they are fascinated, yet appalled by new items they had never seen before such as tea bags and dirty magazines.
Gwen looks after Emma, since her parents have died. She takes her to her home, where she lies to Rhys that Emma is her cousin and that she came for a visit. The couple take her to a nightclub. They separate Emma from a man she is kissing. Gwen explains that things are different than in the 1950s. Later Emma finds a job as a shop-girl in London. Gwen is hesitant, wanting to get her a job in Cardiff where she can look after her, but she has to change her mind when Rhys discovers that Emma is not Gwen's cousin and is upset at just how easily Gwen lied to him. Gwen agrees to let her go and tells her to not talk to strangers when travelling to London. As Emma leaves, they wish each other a happy Christmas.
Meanwhile, Jack starts a friendship with John, who wants to find his son, Alan Ellis. Tosh finds him, John pays a visit, but is devastated to find his son is suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Severely depressed, John takes Ianto's car to kill himself by carbon monoxide poisoning. Jack tries to convince him to stop. John said that he died decades ago. A reluctant Jack joins him in the car as the carbon monoxide slowly kills John. Jack's immortality leaves him unaffected; all he can do is express sorrow at the sight of another life cut short.
Owen looks after Diane, who wants to fly, but can't because her license expired decades ago. Owen convinces her to go out to lunch with him. They begin a sexual relationship. As it progresses, Owen falls in love with her. Diane admits to the same feelings. One morning, Owen finds she has gone, leaving a note on his pillow. He rushes to the airfield, where he finds her attempting to take off in the Sky Gypsy. Owen tries to convince her to stay, but she is confident that due to the exact weather conditions from where she took off, the rift will open again to take her back to her time. After she kisses Owen goodbye, she takes off and her plane disappears into the clouds. Heartbroken, Owen cries softly.
In the end, Jack, Gwen and Owen think back on how the three have touched their lives.
- Captain Jack Harkness - John Barrowman
- Gwen Cooper - Eve Myles
- Owen Harper - Burn Gorman
- Toshiko Sato - Naoko Mori
- Ianto Jones - Gareth David-Lloyd
- Rhys Williams - Kai Owen
- Diane - Louise Delamere
- John Ellis - Mark Lewis Jones
- Emma - Olivia Hallinan
- Alan Ellis - Sam Beezely
- Nurse - Marion Fenner
- Alesha - Janine Carrington
- Jade - Rhea Bailey
- Flying Instructor - Andrew MacBean
- Barman - Ciaron Dowd
Created by Russell T Davies
|Executive Producers Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner|
|Not every person who worked on this adventure was credited. The absence of a credit for a position doesn't necessarily mean the job wasn't required. The information above is based solely on observations of the actual end credits of the episodes as broadcast, and does not relay information from IMDB or other sources.|
- Glitter and Miss B are magazines.
- Cardiff Examiner was a Cardiff newspaper.
- South Wales Mail was a South Wales newspaper.
- Emma was flying to Dublin to visit Auntie Nora and Uncle Finn, who have been having trouble with their kids and want her to babysit for them.
- Jack mentions that he has died once and that he fell through time.
- Amelia Earhart, another famous woman pilot, went missing on July 2, 1937.
- Owen decides to make Diane a "fuck buddy", as in a person whom he has casual sex with, but their constant activities in bed transform into a full-fledged romance.
- Emma mentions Deborah Kerr.
- Emma wants Super Excel Waterproof Luscious Lashes Mascara.
- "I See You Baby" is playing in the bar.
- "Just Blew In from the Wind City" from Calamity Jane is Emma's favourite song.
Story notes Edit
- This is the first Torchwood episode to have no antagonist or enemy of any kind.
- 1.0 million viewers.
Filming locations Edit
- Plane landing at the beginning of the episode - RAF St Athan, Vale of Glamorgan
- John visits the Millennium Stadium's gate 3 - Westgate Street, Cardiff
- The restaurant Owen and Diane visit is The Pearl of the Orient - Cardiff Bay.
Production errors Edit
- The events occur in December. However, in several scenes, including those of the airfield and outside the supermarket, the foliage on the trees indicates that the episode was filmed during the summertime.
- During a scene in the conference room, a window can be clearly seen behind the characters, and a street can be seen outside. This is impossible because the Hub is underground.
- Emma set off for London on 24 December 2007, the same day that the Webstar came to London. (TV: The Runaway Bride)
Home video releases Edit
- Out of Time was first released on DVD, with three other episodes as Torchwood: Series 1, part 3 on 26 March 2007. It was included in Torchwood: The Complete First Series on 19 November 2007.
- Out of Time at Shannon Sullivan's A Brief History of Time (Travel)
- Out of Time at The Locations Guide