Panacea was the fourteenth story in the Gallifrey audio series and the final story in the third season of that series. It ended on what, at the time seemed like the end of the series with a definite end / cliffhanger to the series. The series returned in March 2011 with Reborn.
Publisher's summary Edit
"How much for just the planet?"
Gallifrey is ruined. The great and good of her once-mighty Capitol gather in disease-ridden shanty towns outside its walls. Her 'friends' in the temporal powers anticipate her total collapse and the beginning of a new galactic order.
The Time Lords' latest president has a drastic scheme to restore this world to its former glory -- but can a cure for all Gallifrey's ills really be found in the hands of entrepreneur, adventurer and self-confessed swine Mephistopheles Arkadian?
And what of the Lady Romana? Exiled to her ancestral house of Heartshaven, she's about to uncover the greatest threat that Gallifrey has ever faced, one that might yet cause the Time Lord race to become extinct...
to be added
- Former Lord President Romana - Lalla Ward
- Leela - Louise Jameson
- K9 Mark II - John Leeson
- Irving Braxiatel - Miles Richardson
- Coordinator Narvin - Sean Carlsen
- Chancellor Valyes - Steven Wickham
- Lord President Matthias - Stephen Perring
- Mephistopheles Arkadian - Hugo Myatt
- Captain Henzil - John Dorney
- Acting-Castellan Annos - Dickon Tolson
- Commander Janartis - Charlie Ross
- Surgeon-Master Elbon - Paul Grunert
- The Daleks are implied to be the real brains behind Free Time and the "big threat" to Gallifrey.
- Valyes suggest throwing all the Pandora's weapons at the Sontarans or even at the Daleks.
- Taranium is mentioned by Arkadian.
Time Lords Edit
- Leela mentions the Time Lords having "thirteen lives".
Time travel Edit
- Arkadian's communicator device plays a variation of the iconic default Nokia ringtone; when questioned by Valyes, he claims it as an original composition.
- This audio drama marks the final appearance of the Gallifrey of the proper timeline on the series until AUDIO: Renaissance in October 2013.
- Arkadian attempts to goad Narvin by remarking that he is "the only senior Time Lord who wasn't Lord President this week." This refers to the fact that the office had recently been held by Romana II, Pandora, Valyes (in an acting capacity), Braxiatel and finally Matthias in rapid succession. Furthermore, Romana, Matthias and Darkel were vying for the position before Braxiatel assumed the office and appointed Matthias as his successor. (AUDIO: Imperiatrix, Fractures, Warfare, Appropriation, Mindbomb)
- Braxiatel says that they are on the planetoid housing his Collection and that he has separated it from the rest of the universe. The former is false (AUDIO: Reborn), but the latter would eventually be true. (PROSE: Mother's Ruin)
- The Daleks created the Dogma Virus. (AUDIO: Ascension)