The Pharos Institute was a scientific organisation that experimented with the latest advances in technology.
20th century Edit
In the 1980s, the Pharos Project was a space programme designed to communicate with extraterrestrial civilisations. It is not known whether that organisation was related to the Pharos Institute. (TV: Logopolis)
21st century Edit
In 2008, the Pharos Institute were tapping the vast potential of the MITRE telekinetic headset. However, the organisation had been infiltrated by Korst Gogg Thek Lutiven-Day Slitheen, who was manipulating the researchers so that the headset could be used for sinister purposes.
Sarah Jane Smith broke into the Institute and stole the prototype for Mr Smith to examine. Korst and two other Slitheen, working in collusion with Mr Smith, took Luke Smith hostage and wired him into the stolen headset. The resultant telekinetic power was to be drained and sold off piece by piece but Mr. Smith used it to nearly bring the Moon crashing into the Earth. The disaster was finally averted by a reformed Mr Smith, whom Sarah Jane had reprogrammed with a computer virus. (TV: The Lost Boy)
Another ongoing project of the Institute was the research of space debris. Samples were probed for any signs of extraterrestrial life. They found some clues in Martian meteor fragments and in 2008 had the Weserbergland meteorite on loan for research. This allowed the entity known as the Pied Piper to terrorise Ealing. (TV: The Day of the Clown)
One of the scientists working at the Institute was Professor Rivers. The Institute was also assisted in its research by Nathan Goss, an arrogant boy genius who was in fact Korst Gogg Thek Lutiven-Day Slitheen of the family Slitheen in disguise. (TV: The Lost Boy)
- The real Nathan Goss had been murdered by the Slitheen for his skin.
Some time after the investigation at Ashen Hill Manor, a member of the Slitheen family stole a matter compressor from the Institute. He and his comrade planned to use the device to crush Earth's carbon crust into a gigantic diamond. (TV: The Gift)
- Celeste Rivers (TV: The Lost Boy, The Day of the Clown, The Eternity Trap)
- Toby Silverman (TV: The Eternity Trap)
- Nathan Goss (TV: The Lost Boy)
Technology and acquisitions Edit
- MITRE headsets (TV: The Lost Boy)
- Jeggorbax asteroid (TV: The Day of the Clown)
- Paranormal energy readers (TV: The Eternity Trap)
- Portable computer systems (TV: The Eternity Trap)
- Portable CCTV cameras (TV: The Eternity Trap)
- Matter compressor (TV: The Gift)
- Fossilised Silurian egg (TV: Sarah Jane's Alien Files episode 6)