|Power of the Mykuootni|
|Main setting:||Skelsdale Nuclear power station, England, 21st century|
|Printed in:||DWA 207|
|Release date:||3 March 2011|
|Format:||Comic - 1 parts (4 pages)|
|DWA comic stories|
|Ghost World||Mine, All Mine!|
In the north west of England, the Skelsdale nuclear power station is having some problems. A loud "bzzzzzzzz" sound seems to be moving around the station. By the time the Eleventh Doctor, Rory Williams and Amy Pond arrive at the station some hours later, it is deserted. Having spilt tea in the geo-temporal calibrators of the TARDIS, 19th century Whitby was not their destination. The "bzzzz" sound is still ringing out when they arrive. The Doctor identifies it as an electrical discharge with something organic about it.
As the sound grows closer, flying aliens appear out of thin air. Before they can attack and sting the Doctor and Rory, Amy has found a loading crane and swung it around to swat them like giant flies. The Doctor recognises them as Mykuootni (hyper-advanced insects) who are gathering, ready to swarm across the Earth. The Mykuootni have been feeding on the energy released by nuclear fission, their bodies absorbing and converting the energy into firepower.
Taking Amy's suggestion about needing an repellent (like Rory's socks or sprouts), the Doctor makes some modifications to the power station and reverses the polarity of the neutron flow, converting the reactor to fusion instead of fission. When Amy presses the big red button, the Mykuootni are given indigestion by the fusion energy and break away from the energy core. Believing the humans more powerful than they imagined, the Mykuootni gather their swarm and retreat. Earth isn't ready for nuclear fusion yet, so the Doctor undoes the modifications before they leave.
- The DWA comic strip adventures were aimed at a younger audience and the artwork and colours were bold and bright, reflecting the tone of the magazine.
- Self contained, one part stories were the norm.
Original print details Edit
- Publication with page count and closing captions
- DWA 207 (4 pages) NEXT WEEK – ANOTHER EXCITING ADVENTURE FOR THE DOCTOR, AMY AND RORY!
- No reprints to date.
- The Doctor on arrival is recounting how "Mary Shelley told this brilliant story one night about...". The Doctor travelled in the TARDIS with Mary Shelley in AUDIO: Mary's Story.