|Main setting:||Traken, circa 1000 BC|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Producer:||Russell Stone and Gareth Jenkins|
|Cover by:||Clayton Hickman|
|Release date:||November 2001|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|Colditz||The One Doctor|
Primeval was the twenty-sixth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. It was notable for exploring the history of Nyssa's home planet of Traken and the wider Traken Union, and for being novelist Lance Parkin's first audio story.
Publisher's summary Edit
To save her life, he must make a desperate journey to the only place in the universe where a cure might exist to heal her.
When even that fails, the Doctor has a choice — let Nyssa die, or make a deal with the devil.
After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions...
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Nyssa - Sarah Sutton
- Shayla - Susan Penhaligon
- Kwundaar - Stephen Greif
- Sabian - Ian Hallard
- Anona - Romy Tennant
- Janneus - Rita Davies
- Hyrca - Mark Woolgar
- Narthex/Captain Kabe - Billy Miller
- Etrayk - Alistair Lock
- The story is both a sequel and a prequel to The Keeper of Traken.
- All the characters are named after or have names based on mediaeval theologians or aspects of mediaeval theology.
- This audio drama was recorded on 24 and 25 August 2001.
- An illustrated preview of this story featured in DWM 311 illustrated by Lee Sullivan.
- Russell Stone's score for the story was released on the CD Music from the Fifth Doctor Audio Adventures, alongside the scores for The Eye of the Scorpion and Loups-Garoux.
- This story portrays the planet Traken three thousand years before TV: The Keeper of Traken.
- This story reveals that Nyssa's collapse in TV: Four to Doomsday and the telepathic powers which she demonstrates in TV: Time-Flight are the results of Kwundaar's manipulations. Seeking to regain control of the Source, Kwundaar needed to use a native of Traken who had left the union. He chose Nyssa. Ultimately, it is the Doctor that Kwundaar wants to use to regain control of the Source
- Kwundaar knows of Traken's eventual destruction. (TV:Logopolis)
- Nyssa refers to Adric's death. (TV: Earthshock)
- Nyssa had previously considered asking the Doctor to take her to Traken before its destruction on numerous occasions before she actually did so. (PROSE: Empire of Death)
- Nyssa teaches Sabian the Charleston. She had herself been taught the dance by Tegan Jovanka while attending a party at Cranleigh Hall in Oxfordshire on 11 June 1925. (TV: Black Orchid)
- Official Primeval page at bigfinish.com
- Primeval at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for Primeval at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide