[[Project Lazarus (audio story)|Project: Lazarus]].
Project: Lazarus was the forty-fifth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. It was the second in a loose arc of three audio stories that featured the Forge; the first was AUDIO: Project: Twilight and the third Project: Destiny. This is also one of only eight audio stories in which Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy appear together.
Publisher's summary Edit
"I'll survive, Doctor. I always do."
A frightened girl is stalked in a land of eternal night.
A hunter longs for recognition and power.
A traveller in time returns to correct the mistakes of the past and faces a danger that could rob him of his future. Unless his future intervenes.
And in the shadows stands Nimrod. Waiting...
Welcome to the Forge.
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Evelyn Smythe - Maggie Stables
- Cassie Scholefield - Rosie Cavaliero
- Nimrod - Stephen Chance
- Oracle - Emma Collier
- Sergeant Frith - Adam Woodroffe
- Dr. Crumpton - Ingrid Evans
- Professor Harket - Vidar Magnussen
The TARDIS Edit
- Evelyn remarks that the TARDIS kitchen seems to restock itself each morning. She is unsure whether this is the Doctor's or the TARDIS' doing.
- Every TARDIS has the ability to hunt down vampires, although the Sixth Doctor had to repair the system, which had broken down due to lack of use.
- Nimrod attempts to induce a regeneration in the Sixth Doctor.
- A regeneration can be triggered by the trauma of losing a limb, which helps the Seventh Doctor deduce the true nature of the Sixth.
The Doctor Edit
- The Sixth Doctor likes his tea with four sugars.
- The Seventh Doctor plays the piano, although he admits that he needs more practice.
- On arriving in the Forge in 2008, the Seventh Doctor claims that "a century or three" have passed in his personal timeline since his previous incarnation visited it in 2004.
- The Seventh Doctor briefly considers returning to Gallifrey.
Gallifreyan culture Edit
- The Decree of Rassilon is mentioned in relation to Vampires.
- The Doctor later meets Cassie's son, Thomas Hector Schofield, though this has already happened for the Seventh Doctor.
- This is the sequel to AUDIO: Project: Twilight.
- Along with AUDIO: The Sirens of Time, AUDIO: Zagreus, AUDIO: The Wormery, AUDIO: Thicker Than Water, AUDIO: The Four Doctors, AUDIO: The Light at the End and AUDIO: The Brink of Death, this is one of eight Big Finish audio dramas in which both Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy appear.
- This audio drama was recorded on 17 and 19 January 2003 at The Moat Studios
- This was the first Big Finish product to offer multiple covers. Buyers were offered a choice between one featuring Colin Baker prominently, with Sylvester McCoy incorporated in an incorporeal manner, or one featuring Sylvester McCoy prominently, with Colin Baker incorporated in an incorporeal manner.
- The Seventh Doctor considers going back home to Gallifrey after the events of this adventure, potentially linking it to the events of the TV movie, as when he does return to Gallifrey on his own, it is to collect the remains of the Master.
- The Sixth Doctor is wearing his blue coat which was introduced in WC: Real Time.
- The tension between the Sixth Doctor and Evelyn from this audio leads straight into AUDIO: Arrangements for War.
- The Seventh Doctor, having met Cassie's son Thomas Hector "Hex" Schofield in AUDIO: The Harvest, goes to see Evelyn on Világ in AUDIO: Thicker Than Water to inform that he has taken Hex as one of his companions.
- The Forge's computer Oracle recognises the Seventh Doctor from descriptions of his appearance given in reports from incidents in Shoreditch in November 1963 (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks) and Carbury in 1997 (TV: Battlefield).
- Earlier in his personal timeline, the Seventh Doctor visited the Forge's beta facility in London in 2025 in the company of Ace and Hex. Nimrod, who was by then referring to himself by his original name of Sir William Abberton, informed him that he was present at destruction of the Forge's alpha facility in 2008. The Seventh Doctor attempted to stop him from revealing any further information about his personal future so as not to disrupt the Web of Time. (AUDIO: Project: Destiny)
- Nimrod would later inform Hex that the Doctor was involved in his mother's death (AUDIO: Project: Destiny) whereas the Seventh Doctor and Evelyn subsequently explained the circumstances of her death in more detail (AUDIO: A Death in the Family). Notably, this occurred many years earlier in the Seventh Doctor's personal timeline than the events of the second part of Project: Lazarus.
- The Seventh Doctor tells Nimrod that Evelyn never forgave him for Cassie's death "even at the end." (AUDIO: A Death in the Family)
- Nobody No-One's CORDIS appears in the Seventh Doctor's portion of the story, disguised as the Forge catchphrase "for king and country." Its arrival is signified by the release number of this story — 45. (AUDIO: A Death in the Family)
- Official Project: Lazarus page at bigfinish.com; note that it is out of print and is available as download only.
- DisContinuity for Project: Lazarus at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide