A prophecy was a prediction of future events, usually offered by beings with precognitive abilities. Many prophecies were made by those with psychic abilities.
The Gift of Pompeii Edit
While in Pompeii, the Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble encountered Evelina and Lucius Petrus Dextrus, both of whom possessed telepathic abilities and the ability to see into the future as a result of the Pyroviles and a crack in time opened by Vesuvius' eruption. Because of this, they made some startling prophecies about the Doctor and Donna's futures and pasts. (TV: The Fires of Pompeii)
- Evelina told that the Doctor and Donna were not who they said they were, that the Doctor's name was not 'Spartacus' as he had told her and that Donna called herself Noble, her last name. She also said they both came from far away.
- She also predicted that the name 'Doctor' was false and that his true name was hidden in the Cascade of Medusa herself.
- She predicted the Doctor's true nature.
- Evelina, when asked by her parents if she could see anything, predicted that someone would have to make a terrible choice .
- When pressed, Lucius Petrus Dextrus said the Doctor was from Gallifrey and Donna from London.
- Another prediction of his was to the Doctor: "She is returning".
- He predicted that Donna had "something on her back".
- Evelina's prediction about the Doctor's name was likely about the Medusa Cascade, where Davros named the Doctor the "Destroyer of Worlds." (TV: Journey's End)
- Lucius's prediction, "She is returning", referred to Rose Tyler's return. (TV: Turn Left, The Stolen Earth)
- Lucius' prediction that Donna had something on her back referred to a Time Beetle which attached itself to her back, changing the timeline. (TV: Turn Left)
- Evelina's prediction about someone having to make the most terrible choice was about the Doctor having to choose whether to destroy Pompeii by causing Vesuvius to erupt to save the world.
Dalek Caan Edit
When he travelled into the Time War, Dalek Caan saw all of time and space, past, present and future. The experience drove him insane, but it also caused him to realise how evil his race really was and work to orchestrate their downfall. (TV: The Stolen Earth/Journey's End)
- Dalek Caan predicted that the Doctor was coming and referred to him as the "three-fold man."
- Dalek Caan predicted that the Doctor's Children of Time would gather and the most faithful one would die. He predicted this repeatedly. His last words were, "One will still die", as his final prophecy. In actuality, this referred to an aspect of Donna Noble, the "Doctor Donna", which the Doctor had to wipe from her mind to save her life. (TV: Journey's End)
- Dalek Caan also predicted that the Doctor's true soul would be revealed.
- Dalek Caan predicted the end of the Dalek race due to their evil and foresaw that the Doctor would be the one to cause it.
- Dalek Caan's prophecy of the Doctor as the "three-fold man" referred to the three Doctors who converged to stop the Daleks, the tenth incarnation, the meta-crisis Doctor and the DoctorDonna.
- The Doctor's companions gathered to aid him in dealing with the Daleks, summoning him and aiding him in battle. While none actually died, Donna Noble's memory of the Doctor was erased to protect her as her Time Lord side was too much for her human mind to bear. Thus, the person she became due to the Doctor essentially died.
- Davros claimed that when the Doctor's companions threatened mass destruction to stop the Daleks, the truth about the Doctor was revealed; he refused to use a weapon, but moulded his companions into them.
- Dalek Caan urged the meta-crisis Doctor to fulfil the prophecy of the Daleks' destruction and made him realise it needed to be done. At Dalek Caan's insistence, the meta-crisis Doctor destroyed the Daleks.
Carmen had natural low-level telepathic powers which seemed to be enhanced by her visit to San Helios. She made a startling prophecy which the Doctor realised predicted his death. (TV: Planet of the Dead)
As she said goodbye to the Doctor, Carmen made a prophecy about his future, telling him, "Your song is ending sir... It is returning. It is returning through the dark and then Doctor, oh, but then... He will knock four times."
The Doctor did everything he could to stop this prophecy from happening, even electrocuting Andy to prevent him from knocking four times, but it proved inevitable. When the Master brought back the Time Lords, the Doctor realised what "it" was. As a result of breaking the time-lock on the Time War, the Master had brought back more than the Time Lords, he had brought back Gallifrey, the "it" from Carmen's prophecy that was returning. Gallifrey returned close to Earth and nearly destroyed the planet. After the Doctor and the Master defeated the Time Lords and banished Gallifrey and them back into the Time War, the Doctor believed that he was safe and had averted the rest of the prophecy, when four knocks sounded. "He" had referred to the Doctor's companion, Wilfred Mott, who knocked four times repeatedly to get the Doctor's attention to be set free from a radiation booth he was trapped in after freeing a man. To save him, the Doctor sacrificed himself and absorbed a fatal dose of radiation lest Wilfred absorb it and die. This caused him to regenerate. Thus the tenth incarnation died and the eleventh was born. (TV: The End of Time)
The Ood Edit
On the Ood-Sphere, Ood Sigma told the Doctor that his song "must end" soon. (TV: Planet of the Ood) When the Doctor later returned to the Ood-Sphere, the Elder Ood chanted a prophecy, "It is returning. They are returning. He is returning. Both he, it and they are returning, but too late."
"He" turned out to be the Master, who was brought back to life. The Master transplanted himself into every human on Earth. When all the new Masters concentrated on the drumming inside his head, he pinpointed its origin. This meant that the High Council of Time Lords, who retroactively implanted the signal in his head when he looked into the Untempered Schism, were able to send a Whitepoint Star to Earth, making contact physical. This was the "they". Along with them, Gallifrey also came through, the "it". (TV: The End of Time)
The Trickster Edit
When the Doctor encountered the Trickster, he was told, "The Gate is waiting for you". (TV: The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith) The "gate" was the Immortality Gate, which flooded the Doctor's body with Vinvocci radiation, forcing him to regenerate. (TV: The End of Time)
"Silence will fall" Edit
The religious order known as the Silence believed that "Silence will fall when the Question is asked", better translated as "Silence must fall". According to Dorium Maldovar, "on the fields of Trenzalore, at the Fall of the Eleventh, when no creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never ever be answered: Doctor who?" The Silence wished to prevent the Doctor — the one man, they believed, who knew the answer — from responding. They thus sought to kill him several times during his eleventh incarnation. (TV: The Eleventh Hour, The Impossible Astronaut, Day of the Moon, A Good Man Goes to War, Let's Kill Hitler, The Wedding of River Song, The Name of the Doctor)