Return of the Daleks (audio story)
|Return of the Daleks|
|Main enemy:||The Daleks|
|Main setting:||Zaleria, the 42nd century|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Producer:||Nicholas Briggs and Matthew Cochrane|
|Release number:||4 (spine number V)|
|Release date:||December 2006|
|Format:||1 CD - 1 Episode|
|Doctor Who -|
Specially Released Audio Dramas
|Cryptobiosis||Return to the Web Planet|
- You may wish to consult
Return of the Daleksfor other, similarly-named pages.
Publisher's summary edit
No one could ever know. We had to erase the past. Change everything. Start again.
But even though it's been centuries now... In our hearts, none of us feels truly...
Safe. I think, even if our people were to survive until the end of time itself, we would still fear... The return of the Daleks.
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Kalendorf - Gareth Thomas
- Susan Mendes - Sarah Mowat
- Skerrill - Christine Brennan
- Mendac - Hylton Collins
- Aytrax - Jack Galagher
- The Daleks / The Ogrons / Talamar - Nicholas Briggs
- When the Doctor wakes up, he cries out the names of Mel, Ace and Hex. He soon remembers that they are "all gone."
- The Doctor refers to the late 42nd century as the time of the Second Great Dalek Occupation.
- The Dalek Scientific Division uses Ogrons to quell the crowds on Zaleria.
- According to Susan Mendes, Zaleria has an "unblemished record" of cooperation since the Dalek invasion of Mutter's Spiral in 4162.
- Skerrill tells the Doctor that there were only a handful of humans on Zaleria at the time of the invasion and they are all kept in the Central Zones.
- The planet Zaleria once had another name: Spiridon.
- The Daleks intend to unearth their ancient army under the surface of Spiridon and make it invisible.
- From her telepathic contact with Kalendorf, Suz is aware that he resents her for her role as the "Angel of Mercy." Kalendorf tells her that he does not have time to hate her.
- The Doctor spends many years as a prisoner of the Daleks on Spiridon. He ultimately betrays the Daleks by releasing the so-called cure for light wave sickness, which in fact kills all the Daleks on Spiridon. The Doctor is himself infected with light wave sickness but it is nullified by the dimensional stasis of the TARDIS, meaning that it is unnecessary for the Doctor to regenerate.
- This was a special release given away to Big Finish subscribers who had AUDIO: Year of the Pig as part of their subscription.
- This story marks the first and only appearance of the Ogrons in an audio drama.
- Unusually for a Doctor Who audio drama, the story takes place over the course of several years.
- This audio drama was recorded on 20 September 2006.
- Spiridon previously appeared in TV: Planet of the Daleks as well as COMIC: Emperor of the Daleks!, which also featured the Seventh Doctor.
- Kalendorf sarcastically refers to Susan Mendes as "Angel of Mercy." (AUDIO: The Human Factor)
- Kalendorf tells Skerrill that it is too early for the Zalerian people to rise up against the Daleks if the galactic uprising is to succeed. (AUDIO: The Human Factor, AUDIO: "Death to the Daleks!")
- The Doctor is aware that Kalendorf is one of the Knights of Velyshaa who was on a secret mission to create a defence pact with the Earth Alliance when he was caught up in the Dalek invasion of Mutter's Spiral in 4162. (AUDIO: Invasion of the Daleks)
- The Doctor tells Kalendorf that the Daleks have been searching for Zaleria ever since they began their invasion of the galaxy as there is a massive Dalek army buried in billions of tons of molten ice under the surface. (TV: Planet of the Daleks)
- Susan Mendes reminds the Daleks that they have standing orders from the Dalek Supreme not to exterminate Kalendorf. (AUDIO: The Human Factor)
- By the end of the Doctor's many years of imprisonment, the galaxy wide uprising against the Daleks, instigated by Susan Mendes and Kalendorf, has begun on Yaldos. (AUDIO: "Death to the Daleks!")
- The Eighth Doctor would later meet Kalendorf on Vega VI, many years after the end of the Dalek War in the late 42nd century. (PROSE: Museum Peace)
- Official Return of the Daleks page at bigfinish.com
- Return of the Daleks at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for Return of the Daleks at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide