Robophobia was the one hundred and forty-ninth monthly Doctor Who audio release produced by Big Finish Productions. Released in July 2011, it featured the Seventh Doctor played by Sylvester McCoy without any companions. This story began a series of four stories with him travelling in the "black TARDIS", a plot point resolved in Black and White.
This story also featured a reappearance of the Sandminer robots. They had last appeared in an audio story in Magic Bullet Productions' Storm Mine, part of their Kaldor City audio series released in 2004.
Publisher's summary Edit
Nothing has ever been officially confirmed, but there is a rumour that on a Sandminer bound for Kaldor City, the robots somehow turned homicidal and nearly wiped out the entire crew. Can that really be true?
The robot transport ship Lorelei has a cargo of over a hundred fifty-seven thousand robots on board, all deactivated. So even if there were any truth in the rumour of that massacre, there'd still be no danger. Surely, there wouldn't...
But then, the Doctor witnesses a murder.
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Liv Chenka/Elicien - Nicola Walker
- Farel - Toby Hadoke
- Bas Pellico - William Hazell
- Selerat - Nicholas Pegg
- Cravnet - Dan Starkey
- Tal Karus/SV10 - Matt Addis
- Leebar/Computer Voice - John Dorney
- Robots - Matt Addis, Nicholas Briggs, John Dorney, Toby Hadoke, Dan Starkey
- The Doctor's TARDIS is described as being black.
- This story marks the first use of the Sandminer robots in a Big Finish audio drama.
- This audio drama was recorded on 7 and 8 March 2011.
- Writer/producer Nicholas Briggs suggests in the CD extras accompanying this story's release that this story is set a couple of months after TV: The Robots of Death. If this comment is taken into account it creates something of a continuity clash with Kaldor City, which is set 10 years after TV: The Robots of Death.
- Subscribers whose subscription included this story received the bonus story Twilight's End, originally printed in the Defining Patterns anthology, read by Beth Chalmers.
- The Kaldor City Company has covered up the massacre on the Storm Mine 4. (TV: The Robots of Death) It isn't explicitly stated when the events of Robophobia take place in relation to TV: The Robots of Death.
- The Doctor uses his respiratory bypass system. (TV: Pyramids of Mars)
- The Doctor is travelling in the Black TARDIS. (AUDIO: Black and White)
- During his eighth incarnation, the Doctor would be reunited with Liv Chenka on Nixyce VII. (AUDIO: The Traitor) She later joined him as one of his companions. (AUDIO: Time's Horizon)
- Official Robophobia page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for Robophobia at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide