|Main setting:||The Eastern Pyrenees, France, 1242|
|Writer:||David A. McIntee|
|Release date:||20 April 1995|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 25 Chapters, 272 Pages|
|Virgin New Adventures|
|Infinite Requiem||Human Nature|
Sanctuary was the thirty-seventh New Adventures novel. It featured the Seventh Doctor and Bernice Summerfield. It was the first purely historical novel in the New Adventures range, with no aliens or alien elements outside the Doctor, Bernice and the Jade Pagoda (and what they bring or make during the novel).
Publisher's summary Edit
The TARDIS is caught in the gravitational field of a dark star. The Doctor and Bernice are forced to evacuate, and find themselves stranded in medieval France — a brutal time of crusades and wars of succession.
As the Albigensian crusade draws to its bloody conclusion, men inflict savage brutalities on each other in the name of religion. And the TARDIS crew find their lives intertwined with warring Templars, crusaders and heretics. While the Doctor begins a murder investigation in a besieged fortress, Bernice finds herself drawn to an embittered mercenary who has made the heretics' fight his own. And they both realise that to leave history unchanged they may have to sacrifice far more than their lives.
to be added
- Seventh Doctor
- Bernice Summerfield
- Guy de Carnac
- Chretien d'Alsace
- Francisco Guzman
- Louis de Citeaux
- Philippe de Montfort
Astronomical objects Edit
Foods and beverages Edit
- Benny builds a still to make (medicinal) alcohol.
- Benny can speak ancient Tzun.
- Bernice says that she spent some of her early life on Vandor Prime in the Gamma Delphinus IV system.
- Bernice knows what Necros is like.
- The Doctor and Benny use the Jade Pagoda to escape the TARDIS. As it goes through the black star, the Doctor specifies it to home in on a Class M (Earth-like) planet orbiting a main sequence Class G (Sol-like) star.
- The outside world can be reached through any of the three console rooms.
- The TARDIS interior has wood panelled corridors, a 1930s style cage lift, an arboretum, a hospital ward, a tennis court, a car garage, a water purification plant, a quarantine bay, a "Wanted" poster of Doc Holliday, a Veltrochni tree sculpture and a Greek statuette.
- A prelude to this novel was published in DWM 225.
- Bernice says that she spent some of her early life on Vandor Prime in the Gamma Delphinus IV system. These statements seem to contradict earlier statements by her about her homeworld, but can be reconciled with Benny's other statements about her homeworld if "Vandor Prime" is the name of a settlement and "Gamma Delphinus IV" is another name for Beta Caprisis, much as "Sol III" is another name for Earth. Likewise, Necros is misspelt as "Nekros".
- The Jade Pagoda was last seen in PROSE: Iceberg.
- Sir Giles Estram was the Master's pseudonym during the events of TV:The King's Demons.
- Guy de Carnac is seen again in AUDIO: The Quality of Mercy.
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Sanctuary at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Sanctuary
- Prelude to Sanctuary as published in DWM#225