|Sarah Jane Smith|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Release date:||31 July 2002 - 1 March 2006|
Sarah Jane Smith was an audio series produced by Big Finish Productions which explored the life of Sarah Jane Smith in the years after she was left on Earth by the Doctor. The series took place in the present day, and apparently after the events of the television story A Girl's Best Friend. K9 Mark III did not appear in these stories, as he had broken down and was in a box in Sarah Jane's attic; he was dismantled by Hilda Winters when she found the box.
The final episode of the series, Dreamland, was released only a few weeks before Sladen returned to Doctor Who as Sarah Jane in School Reunion. This return to Doctor Who led to the commissioning of a new TV spin-off series, The Sarah Jane Adventures, which in turn resulted in the audio series being cancelled after nine stories, with Dreamland unavoidably ending on a cliffhanger.
The "new series" and the TV spin-off both make reference the events of the dramas, with School Reunion displaying that K9 had been non-functional for some time and The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith referring to Aunt Lavinia leaving Sarah the house.
Publisher's summary Edit
Series one Edit
Series two Edit
Main cast Edit
- Sarah Jane Smith — Elisabeth Sladen
- Josh Townsend — Jeremy James
- Natalie Redfern — Sadie Miller
- Ellie Martin — Juliet Warner (Series 1)
- Will Sullivan — Tom Chadbon (Series 2)
- Sir Donald Wakefield — Stephen Greif (Series 2)
- Early in this series, Sarah Jane drove a red Volkswagen Beetle called Ethel.
- The character of Ellie was originally intended to be the Eighth Doctor's former companion Samantha Jones who had remained behind with Sarah Jane after the novel Interference - Book Two.
- Besides Sarah Jane herself, Hilda Winters is the only other character from the classic series to appear in Sarah Jane Smith.
- Sarah Jane and Josh are the only characters to appear in all nine audio dramas in the series.