Second Chances was the twelfth and final story of the eighth series in the Companion Chronicles audio range and the final monthly release. It was produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by John Dorney and featured Zoe Heriot.
From time to time, everybody makes mistakes. Everybody has things from their past they'd like to undo, but nobody gets a second chance. What's done is done and we can't change that.
Zoe's mistakes have led her to imprisonment at the hands of The Company. But when news reports trigger memories of the Doctor, Jamie and an appalling threat, she begins to sense a way out. An opportunity for redemption opens up to anyone willing to take it.
Nobody can alter what's been done. Nobody gets a second chance.
Or do they?
to be added
- Space Station Apollo was destroyed two days before the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe arrived on its sister station Space Station Artemis.
- The Doctor jokes that the reason that the TARDIS never materialises in Scotland is that it does not want Jamie to leave and that he may end up becoming laird if he did. This is a reference to an unproduced Season 6 serial entitled The Laird of McCrimmon which would have been written by Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln. The storyline would have involved a possessed Jamie piloting the TARDIS to Scotland in 1746, specifically his ancestral home, Castle McCrimmon. Once there, he finds the current laird, Sir James McCrimmon, on his deathbed. Robot Yeti appear and surround the castle where the local villagers fall under the influence of the Great Intelligence. The only person who seems to be immune is a girl named Fiona, with whom Jamie falls in love. The Great Intelligence wants to inhabit Jamie's body and become the laird once Sir James dies. However, the Great Intelligence is ultimately defeated by the Doctor. Jamie decides to leave the TARDIS and become the laird himself. A candidate for Frazer Hines' departure story, it was abandoned in August 1968.
- This story was recorded on 2 May 2013.
- Zoe is still a prisoner of the Company. (AUDIO: Echoes of Grey, The Memory Cheats, The Uncertainty Principle)
- Zoe refers to Jen. (AUDIO: The Memory Cheats, The Uncertainty Principle)
- When she previously met Zoe, Kym was using the pseudonym "Ali." (AUDIO: Echoes of Grey)
- Zoe refers to her visit to Uzbekistan, Central Asia in August 1919. (AUDIO: The Uncertainty Principle)
- Kym tells Zoe that the Company halts the spectrox supply of operatives who fail in their missions. (TV: The Caves of Androzani)
- Jamie is tired of visiting space stations and space prisons. (TV: The Wheel in Space; AUDIO: Prison in Space)
- Zoe refers to the Doctor and Jamie's encounters with the Daleks (TV: The Evil of the Daleks; AUDIO: Fear of the Daleks), the Cybermen (TV: The Moonbase, The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Wheel in Space, The Invasion; AUDIO: The Isos Network, Last of the Cybermen) and the Ice Warriors (TV: The Ice Warriors, The Seeds of Death).
- Kym shows Zoe a copy of the Hourly Telepress. (TV: The Mind Robber)
- Kym refers to the Achromatics. (AUDIO: Echoes of Grey)
- The Doctor says, "When I say 'run,' run." (TV: The Tomb of the Cybermen)
- Zoe recalls her first encounter with the Doctor and Jamie on Space Station W3 in 2079. (TV: The Wheel in Space)
- The older Zoe cannot touch her younger self due to the Blinovitch Limitation Effect. (TV: Day of the Daleks)