This page absolutely does contain spoilers either about the behind-the-scenes or narrative elements of stories which have not yet been published or broadcast. Please see our spoiler policy for our rules governing articles about such subjects.
Under no circumstance should information be added here which is derived from some fan's blog, a Gallifrey Base thread, or even a slick-looking news site like doctorwhotv.co.uk, which is actually just a fan site.Please also remember to directly quote people, or to exactly characterise their statements. Do not say that someone said something when they really didn't. If a statement is particularly controversial, do not accept another source's paraphrase; work from the original quote. When it comes to anything Steven Moffat, Brian Minchin or any major star of the show says, give their exact quote only. Remember, a part of the production team's job is to tell the truth, but only very narrowly. For example, the BBC had to deny that Billie Piper was leaving in series 2 and David Tennant in series 4 — even though both things essentially came true, depending on your definition of the word in. So this page should contain only what they exactly say.
- You may be looking for season 10 of the original series.
|36th season since 1963|
|starting with The Return of Doctor Mysterio|
|Executive producer(s):||Steven Moffat|
|Start date:||25 December 2016|
|End date:||25 December 2017|
|Premiere network:||BBC One|
|Typical episode length:||45'|
Series 10 of Doctor Who was revealed in the BBC Worldwide Annual Review on 14 July 2015: "During the year matters under review included ... investments in The Musketeers S3 and Doctor Who S10." On 6 November 2015, in interview with the Radio Times, Steven Moffat elaborated: "We're making a full series. I can confirm that I am making a full series of 12 episodes, plus a Christmas special. I don't know when it goes out. That is up to someone else."
Moffat also said that "Peter Capaldi is going nowhere". On 23 April, it was announced via a short trailer titled "Friend From the Future" that the Doctor's new companion will be "Bill", played by Pearl Mackie. Mackie described her character as "wicked" and "cool, strong, sharp, a little bit vulnerable with a bit of geekiness thrown in".
Only a Christmas special will air in 2016, with the rest of the series beginning broadcast starting in April 2017. The tenth series will be Moffat's final series as show runner, after which Chris Chibnall will take on the role. 
Moffat confirmed an extra episode to the Daily Record on 4 February 2016: "I have fourteen Doctor Whos and three Sherlock films."  Later on 7 October 2016, Moffat re-confirmed the Christmas special in 2017 at New York Comic Con, saying: "I've got so much more time left on 'Doctor Who', I'm not just doing this Christmas, I'm doing next Christmas as well." He told that he plans to sit down with Chibnall and "figure out where he wants it parked and how to get it there" and says, "But to be honest, it's a very short conversation, I've had it before with Russell saying, 'Could you crash the TARDIS?' And that was it, really."
In an interview with BBC Newsbeat on the 6 September 2016, Steven Moffat revealed about the 2016 Christmas special: "We've just started working on the Christmas episode", further revealing that "It's got a lot of heart, but it's got a lot of brain too. Figure that one out."
On 12 September 2016, Mark Gatiss told the audience at a Victoria & Albert Museum members' talk "I think the Christmas special... which is the only one this year...I think is one of Steve[n Moffat]'s best ever scripts, absolutely beautiful." and "It made me cry.".
Speaking at New York Comic Con on 7 October 2016, Steven Moffat told that Series 10 would feel completely new, like episode 1 of series 1, saying: "The tone is very different. The last series with Clara — that relationship had got tortured and dark and went to odd places. It was one of my favourite series to work on, I was delighted with it. But it had become darker. It just had. That's where we were in that relationship. If I gave you one tone word for this series it's 'new'. It's brand new. You're getting to see the Doctor all over again through a very different pair of eyes. In fact, we went to particular pains to make sure that episode one is really episode one. It could be the first episode you ever see. It explains the entire mythos of Doctor Who — in the two minutes it takes — and you can start there. Brand new is the tone."
On joining the Doctor Who team for The Return of Doctor Mysterio, Justin Chatwin said: "Working with the amazing people at Doctor Who has been one of the most fun and rewarding projects I've ever had the pleasure of being involved with.", Moffat also said: "I've always loved superheroes and this Christmas Doctor Who dives into that world. My favourite superhero is Clark Kent. Not Superman, Clark Kent."
On October 17, 2016, Michelle Gomez confirmed to The Music that she will return as Missy in series 10, saying: "Weirdly, this is the sort of crunch week where I get to find out exactly what I'm going to be doing next", and added: "I can officially say that I will be starting back on Doctor Who soon, so that's one thing." She then told: "I am an actor for hire, so if I'm free and it seems like the right thing to do at the time I'd grab it with both hands."
Steven Moffat recently suggested that fans shouldn't expect a multi-Doctor story in the near future, saying: ""We can't do it all the time. Not in my time on the show will that happen again, I wouldn't think." He then added: "I don't think we're going to do that again until whatever the next anniversary is, the 100th anniversary, which I've already told them I'm not going to do because I'm planning on having been dead for a while!"
- The Twelfth Doctor - Peter Capaldi
- Bill - Pearl Mackie
- Nardole - Matt Lucas
- Missy - Michelle Gomez
- Grant - Justin Chatwin
- Investigative journalist - Charity Wakefield
- TBA - Adetomiwa Edun
- TBA - Aleksandar Jovanovic
- TBA - Logan Huffman
- The Landlord - David Suchet
- TBA - Stephanie Hyam
- TBA - Ralf Little
to be added
The Radio Times reported Mark Gatiss was writing an episode for series 10, possibly a sequel to his series 9 episode, Sleep No More. On 4 June 2016, Gatiss himself confirmed that he was writing an episode.
Steven Moffat announced series 10 would have "two writers who have never written Doctor Who before" and teased, "If I told you their names, your brain would explode."
On 14 June 2016, the BBC announced details of the first and second episodes, revealing that they would be written by Steven Moffat and Frank Cottrell Boyce respectively. The release also revealed two further writers for the tenth series: Sarah Dollard and Mike Bartlett.
On 9 October 2016, it was announced by Steven Moffat that a (currently unknown) writer of the Classic Series would be contributing a script for series 10. This marks the first time a writer of the original series will contribute to the revived series. It was also announced that Mike Bartlett, known for work in Doctor Foster, has written an episode called The Haunted Hub.
It was later announced that the first episode of the series would be directed by Lawrence Gough.
In 2015, production designer Michael Pickwoad said in an interview on the podcast Radio Free Skaro that work on the new series "won't start until well into the New Year", and that he expected to start filming in May. Peter Capaldi said filming would begin "sometime...next year."
To avoid online leaks, the production team used the codeword "Mean Town", an anagram of "Ten Woman", when talking about Bill, casting director Andy Pryor revealed to the Radio Times. This was a reference to the fact that Bill is the companion of series 10.
Television stories Edit
Christmas special Edit
|The Return of Doctor Mysterio||Steven Moffat||Ed Bazalgette||Return of Nardole.|
Regular series Edit
|1||A Star in Her Eye||Steven Moffat||Lawrence Gough||Introduction of new companion, Bill.|
|2||TBA||Frank Cottrell Boyce||Lawrence Gough|
|3||TBA||Sarah Dollard||Bill Anderson|
|4||The Haunted Hub||Mike Bartlett||Bill Anderson|
Christmas special Edit
- Deep Roy will play a robot in episode 2.
- Series 10 will continue filming all the way to 31 March 2017.
- Mark Gatiss's series 10 episode is a sequel to his series 9 story, Sleep No More.
- The 2016 Christmas special will be a Class crossover.
- Pearl Mackie could, despite earlier claims, be introduced in the 2016 Christmas special.
- The 2016 Christmas special is a sequel to the 2015 Christmas special, The Husbands of River Song.
- There will be a Casualty crossover. This is speculated to be a Children in Need-special
- Either the Doctor will play a more villainous part in The Return of Doctor Mysterio or the villain known as the Great Intelligence will return, somehow controlling the superhero Grant.
- The Doctor could face his darker side, the Valeyard, in series 10.
Adaptations and merchandising Edit
Home media Edit
DVD / Blu-ray Edit
to be added
to be added
to be added
- ↑ BBC Worldwide (14 July 2015). BBC Worldwide Annual Review 2014 - 2015. BBCWorldwide.com. Retrieved on 7 December 2015.
- ↑ Kelly, Stephen (6 November 2015). Steven Moffat can "confirm absolutely" that there will be a full series of Doctor Who next year. RadioTimes.com. Retrieved on 7 December 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Vivarelli, Nick (31 October 2015). Lucca Comics: 'Doctor Who' Showrunner Steven Moffat On Why The Reboot Is A Global Hit. Variety. Retrieved on 22 December 2015.
- ↑ iPlayer entry. BBC.co.uk. Retrieved on 25 April 2016.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Doctor Who: Pearl Mackie named as new companion. BBC News (23 April 2016). Retrieved on 23 April 2016.
- ↑ Fullerton, Huw (6 September 2016). Doctor Who will return "in April", reveals Peter Capaldi. RadioTimes. Retrieved on 12 October 2016.
- ↑ Dowell, Ben (22 January 2016). Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits to be replaced by Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall. RadioTimes. Retrieved on 22 January 2016.
- ↑ Jones, Tony (4 February 2016). Steven Moffat hails 'dream jobs' working on Doctor Who and Sherlock as Scot is awarded OBE for services to drama. DailyRecord.co.uk. Retrieved on 5 February 2016.
- ↑ http://touch.metro.us/entertainment/steven-moffat-will-stay-on-doctor-who-after-season-10/zsJpjg---RarPAFTI8tdQw/
- ↑ Martin, William (30 May 2016). Michelle Gomez confirms Missy is returning to 'Doctor Who' next season. Cultbox. Retrieved on 14 August 2016.
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-06/a-lot-of-heart-but-a-lot-of-brain-too---could-the-doctor-who-christmas-special-feature-a-return-for-a-fan-favourite?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-13/the-doctor-who-christmas-special-is-absolutely-beautiful-and-made-mark-gatiss-cry
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-10-08/the-next-series-of-doctor-who-will-feel-like-the-first-episode-you-ever-see
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 14.5 http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/doctor-who-christmas-special-title-revealed-with-new-super-image
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a811275/doctor-who-series-10-missy-is-back-michelle-gomez-reveals/?utm_content=buffer9fe8d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=mainfacebookpost
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 16.5 16.6 16.7 Matt Lucas to join Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie for Doctor Who series 10. BBC Doctor Who (14 June 2016). Retrieved on 14 August 2016.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-10-07/is-peter-capaldi-the-villain-in-the-doctor-who-christmas-special
- ↑ https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/765539869489758209
- ↑ Ralf Little Denies Rumours - Doctor Who. YouTube (26 July 2016). Retrieved on 14 August 2016.
- ↑ "Series 10 is coming! Here's a snap from today's first read-through with Peter and Pearl.". Facebook (14 June 2016). Retrieved on 14 August 2016.
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Doran, Sarah (20 June 2016). Doctor Who series 10 starts filming today and Twitter is very excited. RadioTimes. Retrieved on 14 August 2016.
- ↑ Holmes, Jonathan (14 November 2015). Mark Gatiss has sequel planned to Doctor Who's Sleep No More. RadioTimes.com. Retrieved on 7 December 2015.
- ↑ WHO SFX on Twitter: "Delighted that Mark has confirmed he's writing an episode for Series 10! That might be a @WhoSFX exclusive! :)". Twitter (4 June 2016). Retrieved on 14 August 2016.
- ↑ Mulkern, Patrick (30 November 2015). Steven Moffat on his early years, overcoming his shyness, and the pressures of running Doctor Who and Sherlock. RadioTimes.com. Retrieved on 7 December 2015.
- ↑ Jeffery, Morgan (17 December 2015). Doctor Who gets two new writers for series 10 - and Steven Moffat says their names will make your brain explode. RadioTimes.com. Retrieved on 18 December 2015.
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 http://www.cbr.com/moffat-promises-classic-doctor-who-writer-for-new-season/
- ↑ Jackson, Peter (30 November, 2015). Home Invasion. Facebook. Retrieved on 22 December 2015.
- ↑ Radio Free Skaro (8 November 2015). Radio Free Skaro #501 – Osgood As It Gets. Radio Free Skaro. Retrieved on 22 December 2015.
- ↑ Grimshaw, Nick (4 November, 2015). The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Nick Grimshaw, Peter Capaldi. BBC Radio 1. Retrieved on 22 December 2015.
- ↑ Gill, James (26 April 2016). Pearl Mackie's Doctor Who codename revealed. Radio Times. Retrieved on 27 April 2016.
- ↑ Doctor Who Christmas show to feature Doctor Mysterio. BBC News (7 October 2016). Retrieved on 7 October 2016.
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 32.2 32.3 32.4 DWM 500
- ↑ https://twitter.com/d0od/status/767445794781790208
- ↑ https://twitter.com/HDProductions70/status/766751107116896256
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-07-28/are-the-sonic-sunglasses-making-a-comeback-in-doctor-who-series-10
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 36.2 36.3 DWM 502
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 37.2 37.3 https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWhoPage1963/posts/1077441272304027:0
- ↑ Martin, William (28 July 2016). 'Star Trek' actor joins new season of 'Doctor Who'?. Cultbox. Retrieved on 14 August 2016.
- ↑ http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-season-10-wont-finish-filming-until-end-march-2017
- ↑ http://www.enstarz.com/articles/162534/20160606/doctor-who-season-10-a-sequel-to-sleep-no-more-mark-gatiss-teases-his-next-episode-video.htm
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-01/could-the-doctor-who-christmas-special-be-a-class-crossover
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-24/who-is-the-doctor-who-companion-in-this-years-christmas-special
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-07/does-the-doctor-who-filming-schedule-mean-pearl-mackie-will-debut-this-christmas
- ↑ https://www.inverse.com/article/21342-doctor-who-christmas-special-nardole
- ↑ http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a809426/are-doctor-who-and-casualty-crossing-over/?utm_content=bufferfed31&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=maintwitterpost
- ↑ https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.movienewsguide.com/doctor-who-season-10-valeyard-return-2017/294861/amp