This page absolutely does contain spoilers either about the behind-the-scenes or narrative elements of stories which have not yet been published or broadcast. Please see our spoiler policy for our rules governing articles about such subjects.
Under no circumstance should information be added here which is derived from some fan's blog, a Gallifrey Base thread, or even a slick-looking news site like doctorwhotv.co.uk, which is actually just a fan site.Please also remember to directly quote people, or to exactly characterise their statements. Do not say that someone said something when they really didn't. If a statement is particularly controversial, do not accept another source's paraphrase; work from the original quote. When it comes to anything Chris Chibnall, Matt Strevens or any major star of the show says, give their exact quote only. Remember, a part of the production team's job is to tell the truth, but only very narrowly. For example, the BBC had to deny that Billie Piper was leaving in series 2 and David Tennant in series 4 — even though both things essentially came true, depending on your definition of the word in. So this page should contain only what they exactly say.
- You may wish to consult
Series 11for other, similarly-named pages.
Whittaker, herself, stated, "I'm beyond excited to begin this epic journey … It's more than an honour to play the Doctor [...] It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you're told you can and can't be."
Peter Capaldi, Whittaker's predecessor, has full confidence that "she's going to be a fantastic Doctor". "Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker's work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm. She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part." Capaldi had previously expressed that he wants the next actor to take the role to finally be a woman.
In an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, Whittaker stated that the new incarnation will not fundamentally change the character of the Doctor, saying: "It's a brand new body, and the body happens to be female."
In an interview with Rolling Stone on 5 September 2017, Whittaker said that: "As a young girl, I did not think that 'Time Lord' would ever be on my CV." and went on to discuss genders: "I’m playing an alien and gender is not a part of that. A moment like this of being the first woman cast as something, it makes you really think about your sex, whereas actually what you want to do is play a part where your gender is irrelevant. I am a woman, so I don't need to play that. And so for me, this was the most freeing experience because there's no right or wrong way to do it. The rules went out the window."
On 22 October 2017, it was revealed that Whittaker would be joined by Bradley Walsh, Mandip Gill and Tosin Cole in the TARDIS, as well as Sharon D Clarke joining the show as a "recurring character". The BBC said in a statement: "New head writer and executive producer Chris Chibnall, who made the decision to cast the first ever woman in the iconic role, is also shaking up who will travel with the Doctor in [the TARDIS], with a team of new characters", at the same time also confirming that the new series will run through 10 weeks, with 50 minutes each episode and kicking off with a feature length opener.
Series 11 will also mark the switch of special effects team with Milk VFX's last duties being on the preceding Christmas special Twice Upon a Time, handing over the job to Double Negative, whose previous work can be found on Blade Runner 2049, Interstellar, Inception, with more.
A teaser was released on 21 February 2018, the new logo was designed by the LittleHawk agency following Chris Chibnall and Matt Strevens' directions while the music and sound effects were done by Matthew Herbert.
- The Doctor - Jodie Whittaker
- Graham - Bradley Walsh
- Yasmin - Mandip Gill
- Ryan - Tosin Cole
- "Graham's wife" - Sharon D Clarke
- Sonia - Asha Kingsley
- Raymond Parkes - David Rubin
- Fred Gray - Aki Omoshaybi
- TBA - Ray Sesay
- Mr Steele - Richard Lothian
- Mud Witch - Marina Stoimenova
- King James I - Alan Cumming
- TBA - Lee Mack
- The Warrior - Samuel Oatley
Jamie Childs directed the trailer that revealed Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor. He will also be directing the opening block for this series consisting of episodes 1 and 7, and will also direct episode 9 and 10.
Mark Tonderai will direct episodes 2 and 3.
Jennifer Perrott will direct episodes 5 and 8.
|1||TBA||TBA||Jamie Childs||First full-length story with Thirteenth Doctor. 1-hour opener.|
Aliens and enemies
to be added
- Nardole could return in series 11.
- Anton Lesser may have been cast in series 11.
- There could be more Doctor Who in 2018 than initially announced.
- Series 11 could move to Sundays.
- The robot dog K9 might be back in action in Series 11.
- Series 11 could be released all in one go on BBC iPlayer.
- Chris Chibnall will be bringing the show back to its original intention of being an educational show. Three episodes will be set in past, three episodes will be set in future and the rest will be set in present day.
- One episode may focus around the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycotts.
- The Sontarans are said to return in their first proper story since 2008. Furthermore, they seem to be "pure", uncloned Sontarans.
- Producers have been talking about an old character's return in series 11.
Adaptations and merchandising
DVD / Blu-ray
- to be added
- to be added
- to be added
- ↑ https://twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/965976300535021568
- ↑ Dowell, Ben (22 January 2016). Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits to be replaced by Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall. RadioTimes. Retrieved on 16 July 2017.
- ↑ Jeffery, Morgan (31 July 2017). Doctor Who series 11 with Jodie Whittaker will 'launch in late 2018'. Digital Spy. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Jodie Whittaker: Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman. BBC News (16 July 2017). Retrieved on 16 July 2017.
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-16/13th-doctor-jodie-whittaker-i-want-to-tell-the-fans-not-to-be-scared-by-my-gender
- ↑ Smith, Ress (3 July 2017). Doctor Who: Who will be the next Doctor? Who will replace Peter Capaldi?. Express. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ RadioTimes staff (1 February 2017). Peter Capaldi wants this female Harry Potter star to be his Doctor Who successor. RadioTimes. Retrieved on 16 July 2017.
- ↑ Fullerton, Huw (25 August 2017). Doctor Who star Jodie Whittaker says the new Doctor's "body happens to be female". RadioTimes. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ McEwan, Cameron K (5 September 2017). Jodie Whittaker on Thirteenth Doctor: 'Rules Went Out the Window'. doctorwho.tv. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 Dowell, Ben (22 October 2017). Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole, Mandip Gill and Sharon D Clarke join Jodie Whittaker as regular cast members. RadioTimes. Retrieved on 26 December.
- ↑ http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a850111/doctor-who-series-11-special-effects-from-blade-runner-2049-team/
- ↑ Jodie Whittaker Unveils Brand New Doctor Who Logo
- ↑ http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09vyw96
- ↑ Asha Kingsley. Lee Morgan Management. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Ruther2/status/962786555197784067?s=20
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Ruther2/status/962787086725210112?s=20
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Ruther2/status/994294549387399168?s=20
- ↑ http://www.apm.co.za/artiste/richard-lothian-169/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Ruther2/status/967442461881700352
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-03-08/alan-cumming-set-to-play-king-james-i-in-doctor-who/
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-03-25/lee-mack-reveals-surprise-doctor-who-role/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Ruther2/status/950344473535500289?s=20
- ↑ Sarah Deen (14 July 2016). Chris Chibnall and Matt Strevens will share the job of Doctor Who executive producer. Metro. Retrieved on 16 July 2017.
- ↑ Mitchell, Bea (25 October 2017). Doctor Who hires Broadchurch producer to join Chris Chibnall for series 11. Digital Spy. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ Creative Media Management: Sarah Davies. Creative Media Management (2017). Retrieved on 6 January 2018.
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Berlin Associates: Helen Murphy. Berlin Associates (2017). Retrieved on 6 January 2018.
- ↑ Doran, Sarah (16 July 2017). Jodie Whittaker used a codename to keep her Doctor Who casting a secret. RadioTimes. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ Sandwell, Ian (27 October 2017). Doctor Who series 11 lands its first director as work gets under way on Jodie Whittaker's debut. Digital Spy. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ Jamie Childs. Independent Talent. Retrieved on 26 December 2017.
- ↑ 30.00 30.01 30.02 30.03 30.04 30.05 30.06 30.07 30.08 30.09 30.10 30.11 30.12 http://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2018/05/11/complete-list-of-doctor-who-series-11-directors-confirmed/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
- ↑ Sesler: Tico Poulakakis. Sesler. Retrieved on 10 January 2018.
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-10-19/matt-lucas-hints-that-his-time-on-doctor-who-may-not-be-over/
- ↑ https://futurism.media/game-of-thrones-actor-anton-lesser-rumoured-to-star-in-doctor-who-series-11?_ga=2.161395325.1976821138.1510857267-1583675707.1510244482
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-01-19/doctor-who-extra-episode-series-11/
- ↑ https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-could-time-travel-11982146
- ↑ https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-stars-jodie-whittaker-12083525
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/MrTARDISreviews/posts/2099556626726575
- ↑ http://cultbox.co.uk/features/speculation-might-doctor-who-series-11-be-released-in-one-go
- ↑ http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/rumour-series-11-features-educational-episodes-in-us-india-87196.htm
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/BeGN9aIggZM/?hl=en
- ↑ https://futurism.media/the-sontarans-set-to-make-an-epic-comeback-to-doctor-who-after-a-10-year-break?_ga=2.39814179.1048180625.1526034596-1371856998.1526034596
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWhoPage1963/posts/1648256885222460