This page absolutely does contain spoilers either about the behind-the-scenes or narrative elements of stories which have not yet been published or broadcast. Please see our spoiler policy for our rules governing articles about such subjects.
- You may be looking for season 8 of the original series.
Under no circumstance should information be added here which is derived from some fan's blog, a Gallifrey Base thread, or even a slick-looking news site like doctorwhotv.co.uk, which is actually just a fan site.Please also remember to directly quote people, or to exactly characterise their statements. Do not say that someone said something when they really didn't. If a statement is particularly controversial, do not accept another source's paraphrase; work from the original quote. When it comes to anything Steven Moffat, Brian Minchin or any major star of the show says, give their exact quote only. Remember, a part of the production team's job is to tell the truth, but only very narrowly. For example, the BBC had to deny that Billie Piper was leaving in series 2 and David Tennant in series 4 — even though both things essentially came true, depending on your definition of the word in. So this page should contain only what they exactly say.
|34th season since 1963|
|12 episodes comprising 11 stories|
|starting with Deep Breath|
|Executive producer(s):||Steven Moffat|
|Start date:||23 August 2014|
|Premiere network:||BBC One|
|Typical episode length:||45'|
|Key documentaries about the season:||Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor|
Series 8 of Doctor Who, consisting of 12 episodes, began airing on 23 August 2014. Filming began on 6 January 2014, and ended on 7 August of the same year. This is the first full series to feature the Twelfth Doctor, played by Peter Capaldi; he is joined by Jenna Coleman as Clara Oswald as primary companion throughout the entire run. Executive producer Steven Moffat revealed in DWM 469 that, unlike the previous two series, Series 8 will be broadcast straight, with no series split halfway through it. Moffat also revealed that this will be the normal format for all future series.
Series 8 saw the debut of Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor. Capaldi was announced in a live television special, Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor, on 4 August 2013. The previous Doctor, Matt Smith, announced he was leaving on 1 June of the same year.
- The Twelfth Doctor - Peter Capaldi
- Clara Oswald - Jenna Coleman
- Danny Pink - Samuel Anderson
- Courtney - Ellis George
- Missy - Michelle Gomez
- Vastra - Neve McIntosh
- Jenny Flint - Catrin Stewart
- Strax - Dan Starkey
- Kate Stewart - Jemma Redgrave
- Osgood - Ingrid Oliver
- Half-Face Man - Peter Ferdinando
- The Eleventh Doctor - Matt Smith
- Journey Blue - Zawe Ashton
- Colonel Morgan Blue - Michael Smiley
- Gretchen Carlisle - Laura Dos Santos
- Robin Hood - Tom Riley
- Sheriff of Nottingham - Ben Miller
- TBA - Jonathan Bailey
- TBA - Pippa Bennett-Warner
- Ms Delphox - Keeley Hawes
- TBA - Hermione Norris
- TBA - Tony Osoba
- TBA - Phil Nice
- TBA - Frank Skinner
- TBA - David Bamber
- TBA - Daisy Beaumont
- TBA - Janet Henfrey
- TBA - Christopher Villiers
- TBA - Foxes (Louisa Rose Allen)
- TBA - Harley Bird 
- TBA - Abigail Eames 
- TBA - Ashley Foster 
- TBA - Jaydon Harris-Wallace 
Brian Minchin, the new producer of the series, explained in the July 2013 issue of Doctor Who Magazine that "I have just spent a very happy few days meeting some scarily clever writers, and we have an incredible set of stories to work on. More adventures ahead!". In a May 2013 interview, Steven Moffat claimed that "the next season is plotted out."
The first readthrough for Series 8 was held on 17 December 2013. This was an unusually long lead time, as actual filming for the first episodes of Series 8 did not commence until 6 January 2014, with Capaldi filming his first scenes the next day. In a break from what was done with Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith, the first episode filmed by Capaldi is also to be the first episode to be broadcast.
Series 8 is co-executive produced by Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin. (DWM 460) Series 7's producer, Caroline Skinner, officially stepped down on 13 March 2013,  and Minchin was announced as her replacement on 30 April. 
Steven Moffat has penned both the series opener, episode 4, and the two-part series finale, as well as co-writing on episodes 2, 5 and 6. Phil Ford wrote episode 2, Mark Gatiss did episode 3, Steve Thompson's script is for episode 5, and Gareth Roberts wrote episode 6. of the series.
Three new writers joined the series: Peter Harness (episode 7), Jamie Mathieson (episodes 8 and 9) and Frank Cottrell Boyce (episode 10).
Ben Wheatley directed episodes one and two. Paul Murphy will direct episodes 3 and 6, Douglas Mackinnon will direct episodes 4, 5 and 9, Paul Wilmshurst will direct episodes 7 and 8, Sheree Folkson will direct episode 10, and Rachel Talalay will direct the two-part finale.
Television stories Edit
|1||Deep Breath||Steven Moffat||Ben Wheatley||First full story featuring the Twelfth Doctor.
Return of the Paternoster Gang.
Reappearance of the Clockwork Droids.
|2||Into the Dalek||Phil Ford|
|Ben Wheatley||Return of the Daleks.|
|3||Robot of Sherwood||Mark Gatiss||Paul Murphy||Contains a scene that was removed from the final broadcast due to resemblance of violence in the Middle East.|
|4||Listen||Steven Moffat||Douglas Mackinnon||Reappearance of Danny Pink.
A young First Doctor is featured.
|5||Time Heist||Steve Thompson|
|6||The Caretaker||Gareth Roberts|
|7||Kill the Moon||Peter Harness||Paul Whimshurst|
|8||Mummy on the Orient Express||Jamie Mathieson||Paul Whimshurst|
|9||Flatline||Jamie Mathieson||Douglas Mackinnon|
|10||In the Forest of the Night||Frank Cottrell Boyce||Sheree Folkson|
|11 & 12||Dark Water / Death in Heaven||Steven Moffat||Rachel Talalay||Reappearance of the Cybermen, UNIT, Kate Stewart and Osgood.|
Episode notes Edit
- This is the first series of the revived series that does not consist of 13 episodes, although Deep Breath, at 76 minutes, was a feature-length episode.
- The first two episodes feature the mysterious appearance of a character known only as "Missy". This is analogous to the early appearances of Madame Kovarian in series 6, and is thus likely part of an overall arc for the series.
- This is the first series since series 5 to end with a two-part story, and the first since series 6 to have an officially designated two-parter.
- At least two episodes have experienced censorship issues. BBC Entertainment serving SouthEast Asia announced it was required to delete a brief sequence from the region's broadcasts of "Deep Breath" showing Vastra and Jenny transferring oxygen by way of a kiss due to some jurisdictions prohibiting the depiction of same-sex kissing. On 4th September 2014, BBC One announced that a brief sequence in "Robot of Sherwood" was to be deleted from its broadcast on 6th September out of concern it might offend viewers in the wake of the recent execution of two Western journalists by terrorists.
Aliens and enemies Edit
- Half-Face Man
- Clockwork Droids
- Dalek antibodies
- The Sheriff of Nottingham
- Robot Knights
- Skovox Blitzer
Adaptations and merchandising Edit
Home media Edit
DVD / Blu-ray Edit
|19Title|| Number and duration|
|R2 release date||R4 release date||R1 release date|
| Doctor Who: Deep Breath|
|1 × 75 min.||8 September 2014||10 September 2014||9 September 2014|
| Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series|
Into the Dalek
Robot of Sherwood
Kill the Moon
Mummy on the Orient Express
In the Forest of the Night
Dark Water / Death in Heaven
| 1 × 75 min.|
11 × 45 min.
|17 November 2014||19 November 2014||9 December 2014|
- The Doctor and Clara may return to the planet Sarn, last seen in TV: Planet of Fire.
- The Master will return. 
- ↑ Varney, Bertena (6 January 2014). Series 8 of 'Doctor Who' begins filming today. Examiner.com. Retrieved on 6 January 2014.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Interview with Steven Moffat on BBC Radio Wales, 7 August 2014: recording of the event can be found here
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (12 March 2013). Peter Capaldi exclusively revealed to the nation as the Twelfth Doctor. BBC. Retrieved on 7 December 2013.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (1 June 2013). Matt Smith announces he is to leave Doctor Who. BBC. Retrieved on 7 December 2013.
- ↑ Susanna Lazarus (12 March 2013). Doctor Who: Jenna-Louise Coleman confirms her return for series eight. Radio Times. Retrieved on 1 June 2013.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (24 February 2014). Rising Star Joins Doctor Who for Peter Capaldi’s First Series. Doctor Who website. Retrieved on 24 February 2014.
- ↑ Mellor, Louisa (14 October 2013). Doctor Who: returning characters confirmed for series 8. Den of Geek. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ Martin, William (13 October 2013). 'Doctor Who': Vastra, Jenny and Strax back in series 8. CultBox. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ Blue Peter: Doctor Who Competition: Design a Sonic Device. CBBC. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Williams, Kathryn and Meville-Smith, Alicia (30 June 2014). Doctor Who films in Cardiff city centre as the Cybermen take over. Wales Online. Retrieved on 30 June 2014.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Keeley Hawes to star in Doctor Who. BBC Media Centre (13 March 2014). Retrieved on 15 March 2014.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Hermione-Norris-to-Guest-Star-in-New-Series
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 Frank Skinner to star in Doctor Who. BBC News (16 May 2014). Retrieved on 16 May 2014.
- ↑ Foxes to appear in new series of Doctor Who. BBC. Retrieved on 29 May 2014.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Jordan Zakarin (21 May 2013). Storyline For The Next "Doctor Who" Season Already Written. BuzzFeed. Retrieved on 1 June 2013.
- ↑ BBC (17 December 2013). Doctor Who Official Twitter announcement. Twitter. Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- ↑ BBC (7 January 2014). Peter Capaldi begins filming on Doctor Who. BBC.co.uk. Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (13 March 2013). Doctor Who: Executive Producer Moves On. BBC - Blogs - Doctor Who. Retrieved on 14 December 2013.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (30 April 2013). Brian Minchin confirmed as New Executive Producer of Doctor Who. BBC - Blogs - Doctor Who. Retrieved on 14 December 2013.
- ↑ Peter Capaldi begins filming on Doctor Who. BBC Media Centre (7 January 2014). Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 23.3 23.4 23.5 New Series: All the Episode Titles and More. BBC Doctor Who (18 August 2014). Retrieved on 18 August 2014.
- ↑ Radio Times (4 September 2014). BBC makes edit to Doctor Who Robot of Sherwood "out of respect" after two journalists are killed. Radio Times.com. Retrieved on 5 September 2014.
- ↑ Doctor Who: Deep Breath - BBCShop.com
- ↑ Doctor Who: Deep Breath - JBHiFi.co.au
- ↑ Doctor Who: Deep Breath - Amazon.com
- ↑ Doctor Who: Series 8 - BBCShop.com=
- ↑ Doctor Who: Series 8 - JBHiFi.co.au - accessed August 16th 2014
- ↑ Doctor Who: Season 8. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2014-09-11.
- ↑ http://observationdeck.io9.com/possible-sequel-to-doctor-who-episode-planet-of-fire-1575135113
- ↑ Dyke, Peter and Begley, Katie (18 June 2014). The Master plan: The Doctor will face his old enemy again. Daily Star. Retrieved on 24 June 2014.