This page absolutely does contain spoilers either about the behind-the-scenes or narrative elements of stories which have not yet been published or broadcast. Please see our spoiler policy for our rules governing articles about such subjects.
|34th season since 1963|
|starting with Deep Breath|
|Executive producer(s):||Steven Moffat|
|Start date:||23 August 2014|
|Premiere network:||BBC One|
|Typical episode length:||45'|
|Key documentaries about the season:||Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor|
- You may be looking for season 8 of the original series.
Under no circumstance should information be added here which is derived from some fan's blog, a Gallifrey Base thread, or even a slick-looking news site like doctorwhotv.co.uk, which is actually just a fan site.Please also remember to directly quote people, or to exactly characterise their statements. Do not say that someone said something when they really didn't. If a statement is particularly controversial, do not accept another source's paraphrase; work from the original quote. When it comes to anything Steven Moffat, Brian Minchin or any major star of the show says, give their exact quote only. Remember, a part of the production team's job is to tell the truth, but only very narrowly. For example, the BBC had to deny that Billie Piper was leaving in series 2 and David Tennant in series 4 — even though both things essentially came true, depending on your definition of the word in. So this page should contain only what they exactly say.
Filming for series 8 of Doctor Who began on 6 January 2014, for an air date of 23 August 2014.  The series' commissioning was confirmed on 18 May 2013. Executive producer Steven Moffat has promised "at least" 13 episodes in 2014; it was later confirmed [by whom?] that only 12 of those will be part of the main run.[additional sources needed][info not given in source] He revealed in DWM 469 that, unlike the previous two series, series 8 will be broadcast straight, with no series split halfway through it.
Series 8 will see the debut of Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor. Capaldi was announced in a live television special, Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor, on 4 August 2013. The previous Doctor, Matt Smith, announced he was leaving on 1 June of the same year.
- The Twelfth Doctor - Peter Capaldi
- Clara Oswald - Jenna Coleman
- Danny Pink - Samuel Anderson
- Vastra - Neve McIntosh
- Jenny Flint - Catrin Stewart
- Strax - Dan Starkey
- Kate Stewart - Jemma Redgrave
- Osgood - Ingrid Oliver
- Inspector Gregson - Paul Hickey
- Alf - Tony Way
- Elsie - Maggie Service
- Colonel Blue - Michael Smiley
- TBA - Tom Riley
- TBA - Robert Goodman
- TBA - Jonathan Bailey
- TBA - Pippa Bennett-Warner
- Ms Delphox - Keeley Hawes
- TBA - Ben Miller
- TBA - Hermione Norris
- TBA - Tony Osoba
- TBA - Phil Nice
- TBA - Frank Skinner
- TBA - David Bamber
- TBA - Daisy Beaumont
- TBA - Janet Henfrey
- TBA - Christopher Villiers
- TBA - Foxes (Louisa Rose Allen)
- TBA - Harley Bird 
- TBA - Abigail Eames 
- TBA - Ashley Foster 
- TBA - Jaydon Harris-Wallace 
- Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere - Michelle Gomez
Brian Minchin, the new producer of the series, explained in the July 2013 issue of Doctor Who Magazine that "I have just spent a very happy few days meeting some scarily clever writers, and we have an incredible set of stories to work on. More adventures ahead!". In a May 2013 interview, Steven Moffat claimed that "the next season is plotted out."
The first readthrough for series 8 was held on 17 December 2013. This was an unusually long lead time, as actual filming for the first episodes of series 8 did not commence until 6 January 2014, with Capaldi filming his first scenes the next day. In a break from what was done with Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith, the first episode filmed by Capaldi is also to be the first episode to be broadcast.
Series 8 will be co-executive produced by Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin. (DWM 460) Series 7's producer, Caroline Skinner, officially stepped down on 13 March 2013,  and Minchin was announced as her replacement on 30 April. 
Steven Moffat has penned both the series opener and episode 4 (DWM 471), Phil Ford wrote episode 2,  [additional sources needed] Mark Gatiss did episode 3, (DWM 472) Steve Thompson's script is for episode 5, (DWM 471) and Gareth Roberts wrote the the sixth episode of the series. (DWM 472)
Also writing for this series are Neil Cross,Jack Lothian, Peter Harness, Jamie Mathieson (DWM 473) and Frank Cottrell Boyce.  Neil Gaiman has also expressed interest in returning, but stated in May 2013 that writing for Doctor Who simply doesn't pay well.
Ben Wheatley will direct the first two episodes of the series, while Paul Murphy will direct episodes 3 and 6. Douglas Mackinnon is set to direct two episodes of the series as well, as is Paul Wilmshurst. Sheree Folkson will direct an episode. 
|1||Deep Breath||Steven Moffat||Ben Wheatley||First full story featuring the Twelfth Doctor.|
Return of the Paternoster Gang.
|2||TBA||Phil Ford||Ben Wheatley|
|3||TBA||Mark Gatiss||Paul Murphy|
|4||TBA||Steven Moffat||Douglas Mackinnon|
|5||TBA||Steve Thompson||Douglas Mackinnon|
|6||TBA||Gareth Roberts||Paul Murphy|
|7||TBA||Peter Harness||Paul Whimshurst|
|8||TBA||Jamie Mathieson||Paul Whimshurst|
|9||TBA||Jamie Mathieson||Douglas Mackinnon|
|10||TBA||Frank Cottrell Boyce||Sheree Folkson|
|11||TBA||Steven Moffat||Rachel Talalay|
|12||TBA||Steven Moffat||Rachel Talalay|
|X||TBA||Steven Moffat||TBA||Christmas special|
- Capaldi may face the Daleks this series.
- On-set filming for the first episode seems to reveal that the Eleventh Doctor may phone Clara and the Twelfth Doctor.
- The Doctor and Clara may return to the planet Sarn, last seen in TV: Planet of Fire.
- The Master will return. 
- ↑ Varney, Bertena (6 January 2014). Series 8 of 'Doctor Who' begins filming today. Examiner.com. Retrieved on 6 January 2014.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Award-winning children’s novelist and screenwriter Frank Cottrell Boyce confirmed as Doctor Who writer. BBC Media Centre (4 July 2014). Retrieved on 4 July 2014.
- ↑ BBC One confirms the new Doctor lands on Saturday 23 August. BBC Media Centre (27 June 2014). Retrieved on 4 July 2014.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (18 May 2013). Doctor Who: A New Series and More. BBC - Blogs - Doctor Who.
- ↑ Parker, Robin (31 October 2013). Steven Moffat, Faith Penhale & Marcus Wilson. Broadcast.
- ↑ http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a580738/steven-moffat-to-remain-doctor-who-showrunner-for-series-9.html#~oItp2qvTbxt6O0
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Doctor Who Team (12 March 2013). Peter Capaldi exclusively revealed to the nation as the Twelfth Doctor. BBC. Retrieved on 7 December 2013.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (1 June 2013). Matt Smith announces he is to leave Doctor Who. BBC. Retrieved on 7 December 2013.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Susanna Lazarus (12 March 2013). Doctor Who: Jenna-Louise Coleman confirms her return for series eight. Radio Times. Retrieved on 1 June 2013.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 The Doctor Who Team (24 February 2014). Rising Star Joins Doctor Who for Peter Capaldi’s First Series. Doctor Who website. Retrieved on 24 February 2014.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Mellor, Louisa (14 October 2013). Doctor Who: returning characters confirmed for series 8. Den of Geek. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 Martin, William (13 October 2013). 'Doctor Who': Vastra, Jenny and Strax back in series 8. CultBox. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ Blue Peter: Doctor Who Competition: Design a Sonic Device. CBBC. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Williams, Kathryn and Meville-Smith, Alicia (30 June 2014). Doctor Who films in Cardiff city centre as the Cybermen take over. Wales Online. Retrieved on 30 June 2014.
- ↑ Paul Hickey's CV
- ↑ Tony Way's CV
- ↑ Maggie Service's CV
- ↑ Martin, William (17 February 2014). 'Spaced' actor joins 'Doctor Who' Series 8. CultBox. Retrieved on 24 February 2014.
- ↑ Walker, Danny (2 April 2014). Doctor Who: Tom Riley signs up for Mark Gatiss-written episode. Mirror. Retrieved on 5 April 2014.
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 Martin, William (24 February 2014). More 'Doctor Who' guest stars announced for Series 8. CultBox. Retrieved on 24 February 2014.
- ↑ Keeley Hawes to star in Doctor Who. BBC Media Centre (13 March 2014). Retrieved on 15 March 2014.
- ↑ Doctor Who: Ben Miller joins new series and set to guest star as VILLAIN opposite Peter Capaldi. Mirror.co.uk (8 April 2014). Retrieved on 9 April 2014.
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Hermione-Norris-to-Guest-Star-in-New-Series
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 Frank Skinner to star in Doctor Who. BBC News (16 May 2014). Retrieved on 16 May 2014.
- ↑ Foxes to appear in new series of Doctor Who. BBC. Retrieved on 29 May 2014.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (30 June 2014). Michelle Gomez to star in Doctor Who. BBC - Blogs - Doctor Who. Retrieved on 4 July 2014.
- ↑ Jordan Zakarin (21 May 2013). Storyline For The Next "Doctor Who" Season Already Written. BuzzFeed. Retrieved on 1 June 2013.
- ↑ BBC (17 December 2013). Doctor Who Official Twitter announcement. Twitter. Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- ↑ BBC (7 January 2014). Peter Capaldi begins filming on Doctor Who. BBC.co.uk. Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (13 March 2013). Doctor Who: Executive Producer Moves On. BBC - Blogs - Doctor Who. Retrieved on 14 December 2013.
- ↑ The Doctor Who Team (30 April 2013). Brian Minchin confirmed as New Executive Producer of Doctor Who. BBC - Blogs - Doctor Who. Retrieved on 14 December 2013.
- ↑ Peter Capaldi begins filming on Doctor Who. BBC Media Centre (7 January 2014). Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- ↑ Reynolds, Andrew (20 July 2013). Gatiss on Writing... and Showrunning?. Kasterborous. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ Martin, William (2 January 2014). 'Doctor Who' writer Gareth Roberts returning for Series 8. CultBox. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ Gardner, Chris (17 August 2013). Will new Doctor Who actor film in NZ?. Stuff.no.nz. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ Martin, William (31 July 2013). 'Shameless' writer for 'Doctor Who' series 8. CultBox. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ Mulkern, Patrick and Jones, Paul (15 May 2013). Neil Gaiman on re-writing Doctor Who: Clara was originally going to stay as a Victorian governess. Radio Times. Retrieved on 2 January 2014.
- ↑ Weight, Anthony (14 October 2013). Director and writer news. Doctor Who News. Retrieved on 7 December 2013.
- ↑ Wiseman, Andreas (14 October 2013). Ben Wheatley to direct Doctor Who. ScreenDaily.com.
- ↑ Martin, William (27 November 2013). 'Doctor Who' Series 8: Another director confirmed. CultBox. Retrieved on 7 December 2013.
- ↑ Douglas Mackinnon. Twitter (14 December 2013). Retrieved on 14 December 2013.
- ↑ Paul Whimshurst - LinkedIn. Retrieved on 27 April 2013.
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/BBCOne/photos/a.500946183259138.112990.470911516262605/777401742280246/?type=1
- ↑ Dyke, Peter and Begley, Katie (17 February). Dr Who: New doc Peter Capaldi lives his teen dream. Daily Star. Retrieved on 24 February 2014.
- ↑ http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-cameo-matt-smith-3143573
- ↑ http://observationdeck.io9.com/possible-sequel-to-doctor-who-episode-planet-of-fire-1575135113
- ↑ Dyke, Peter and Begley, Katie (18 June 2014). The Master plan: The Doctor will face his old enemy again. Daily Star. Retrieved on 24 June 2014.